Wednesday, September 18, 2013
(It's true that I really do have the most fun naming everything that I design. Naming is my favorite. Ahem.) The original inspiration for this new bag design was to incorporate the possibility of including a needlepoint work into the bag. For me, that dictated the whole look of the bag to be a bit old-timey carpet bag like. And luxurious. But a shape that is simple and modern enough that it would translate well into many other fabrications. Working with velveteen was a must for me on the first few samples. I simply love that fabric for bags. Really good weight and something about the texture is just so fancy and perfect on bags.
The clutch (on my way to a wedding last summer with the prototype) was a must when I decided on a variation, but a nice large scale that did not skimp on space. Kind of portfolio like but way more feminine with the shirring. The needlepoints that I used for the two bags above are the perfect size for this bag to begin with, though you could really use any special handwork or patchwork piece in the framed feature spot. Or something that is only as special as your current favorite print (because we know that changes weekly).
For the cover bag, I decided to do just that, by framing the "Parenthetical Flight" print in my leopard velveteen. (It makes me think of a cat coughing up feathers of a bird he just ate only more sophisticated.)
Even simpler still is this version that I have used everyday for about a month. Mary Anna and I share this bag (because I have never taken to the one bag for me, one bag for baby thing very well). I skipped over the framed and shirred front feature all together and just made a simple version that uses the bag back piece twice and same linen fabric all over. The handles are just long enough to slide up to my shoulder if I choose, but comfy at my elbow as I hold other things too, like, uh, a baby. So there she is, my newest bag pattern. Hope you like it! I know that a bunch of you have been waiting for Field Study linens to be back in stock, and I'm here to tell you they are!
In other news, we just painted the downstairs studio, cause there's a new wall in there (the one that created a nursery for MA) that was waiting for paint. It all feels so fresh now with a new coat of "glass of milk" by Martha Stewart (same as upstairs studio). Before I move everything back in I am taking advantage of the empty floor space to layer up two new quilt tops with their battings and backings. I'll be shooting with Creativebug again next week so the fresh and clean is good timing.
Also I just polished off a 1/2 pint of everything but the....
Post-baby eating plan going as expected ;-P