Thursday, October 06, 2011

Pretty & Practical

blouse.and.bag

Who would not like being accused of either or both of those attributes? I am happy to report that my two new sewing patterns strike both pretty and practical chords for certain. I could be biased.

painted.portrait.back

You've seen images of this pattern show up in everything but the actual printed pattern, so I am thrilled to say that they are arriving to stores now. I have to admit that each new pattern becomes my current fav until I am onto the next (which I of course already am) but this Painted Portrait Blouse & Dress is a pleasure.... I love the way it looks, feels, fits and how it comes together in sewing. I hope hope you will too. You can download the full front and back cover image from this page, and see more versions of the pattern here, here, and here. I counted up all the possible options for this pattern taking into consideration the possible combinations of sleeves, sleeveless, solid yoke, patchwork yoke, pockets, no pockets, dress or blouse.... there are 12. Or more. It makes my head hurt. In a good way.

art.student

And my Art Student. Gorgeous, sweet, talented, versatile, loving, helpful, intuitive. Oh the bag? It's cool too (sorry was distracted by my model pumpkinpookiepie who loves when I do this right here in front of the masses). Srzly tho, I really love this bag. As in I carry all versions on a near daily basis. As in you might call me collect to thank me for this one. As in the slim version and the extended version are currently sitting at my feet as I type its praises from the Chicago Midway airport. (There's a lady knitting next to me on one side and a lady reading on the other side. Is this getting facebooky? Sorry.)

The bag! The larger version is so perfect for traveling, especially as your hefty but concise carry-on, and the slim one is super for everyday. In fact Slim is my traveling bag too, because of the shape it doesn't whack any of your co-fliers in the head as you stroll down the aisle with it on your shoulder. I want you to be able to make friends on the airplane if you're so inclined. Anyway, the insides are a pocket bonanza, and so many possible customizations, my favorite being the extension panel of option B that only pops up if you need it (think just bought great art at flea market and want to contain it as you continue blowing your loot or think I spent all of the past twelve years working on this quilt and I'll be dingdangderned if I'm gonna wad it up to take it to quilt guild to show off.) Full cover download available for clicking on the cover from this page.

outtake

I love this little outtake. She is cute. I love her. My art student. For the record, she actually totes around her stuff at school using the blue bag on the cover. Cheers. I am headed to Brooklyn as we speak to pinch her rosy cheeks, feed her some overpriced meals, beg her to stay up later than she should to tell me stuff, and also to teach some weekend sewing with my pal Heather. Unless she offers me the nanny position which I would scoop up like ice cream.

My flight is boarding! back tomorrow with Loulou flannel! xo, Anna

35 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE THAT BAG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE these bags! I can't sew clothes worth a darn, but bags and me love each other! Yay for new patterns!

    I'm headed to NYC this weekend myself for a wedding--any food recommendations? I feel a little overwhelmed with all the choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! LOVE that top! Looks so easy to wear too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget3:54 PM

    Dying. I have been stalking your site waiting for that bag. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:57 PM

    I have been stalking your website just WAITING for these two patterns to release - so YEE and HAW! Bon weekend a tous (vous)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bag is fantastic! Especially with the extension. And I love all your color combinations.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. hoooboy, those bags looks amazing. I'm thinking the large version would function perfectly for a day quilt retreat and handily hold a medium sized cutting mat, no? Your fussy cutting on the back panel of the tunic is beyond compare, madam. Have a wonderful time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been checking the site multiple times a day waiting for the tote pattern to come out. It was going to be my "Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Student Tote" but I just found out we're expecting our first little one (yay!) and I think it may end up being the most stylish diaper bag there ever was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED that bag! Oh how I wish it would have been around back when I was an art student! Oh well, better late than never ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that bag is AMAZING! can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the mother-love... it cannot be suppressed, can it?
    And of course, I love your creations.
    Dilemma: followed the Heather link, discovered you will be oh-so very nearby in January, and I am now trying to resist my compulsion to book a room and have a random-coincidental encounter with you in Palm Springs. *grin* Some lucky So Cal gals are destined for a great time with you and Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meredith5:16 PM

    ITS FINALLY HERE! Thank you, AM!!!! I have been clicking on the link for this bag from your sewing page every few days ever since you previewed it on here a month or so ago. I want to make all three. I'm obsessed with it. Can you tell? Probably not. I'm just terrible about showing my enthusiasm. You have fun with Juliana! I can't wait to see/read your flannels post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. ITS FINALLY HERE! Thank you, AM!!!! I have been clicking on the link for this bag from your sewing page every few days ever since you previewed it on here a month or so ago. I want to make all three. I'm obsessed with it. Can you tell? Probably not. I'm just terrible about showing my enthusiasm. You have fun with Juliana! I can't wait to see/read your flannels post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was once an art student. It sounds like the sort of bag I would have killed for! I'll be trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have fun in NY! Gorgeous bags - I will have to try that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you hang out at the Pratt campus long enough, maybe you'll get to see (as your pumpkinpookiepie did a few weeks ago) me wrastle with my bottomless 3-year-old who refuses to get dressed for school. I saw concern in Juliana's face, but I knew that she's probably seen it all before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I wish I'd had that bag when I was a commuting drama student! Something big enough to carry props, costumes, lunch, teabags and travel mug, Complete Works of William Shakespeare, three binders and if you're lucky, also a pen. As it was I had to settle for a red backpack that my friends called my "Mary Poppins bag".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Anna, those two new patterns are absolutely wonderful! I hope to order them today. I'm a complete bag nerd (you can NEVER have too many bags...), and I've been wanting to make that top ever since I first saw it.
    Have fun in NYC!
    xox Achaia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great bold pattern work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm sitting in the lobby of the ace, eating lunch, hoping that you threw a few of these in your suitcase...please god let it be so!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tis so Erin, tis so.see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh! I LOVE the spa and coral art student bag. Are you planning on putting together kits for the photographed bags?

    I can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I may be in love with these bags - gorgeous!! Gotta get 'em

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish I had a tote like that when I was in art school. Or actually I just wish I was still in art school. That was so much funn!! And then I could make myself a tote for all those funn artsy things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am not liking you very much right now...have just received 4 yards of your gorgeous and soft flannel...and I WANT MORE!!!! Considering that I am not in the US, and finding your flannel here in the UK is not the easiest thing to do and customs enjoy taking their slice - it won't happen again too soon. And what do you go and do? Have MORE for me to choose from! Am sulking off to go gaze adoringly at my new flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing - now I actually want to work from a pattern. I passed on goodness knows how many patterns this weekend they were handing out at The Sewing Summit - but here are two (yes TWO) I would actually like to make. I'll add them to my wish list. Is Christmas here yet?

    ReplyDelete
  27. But Hermes Birkin accessories are the essential companions for your contemporary life. So they turn their target on the affordable priced replica ones. Hermes Kellyhandbags are among most prevalent fashion Hermes Scarf in the modern market. Following getting a clear look in the bags carried by selection of people, you will find the majority of them take the replica designer brand Hermes Bags. 2945abc45 1012

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the new patterns!!

    And not to sound **too** stalkery but I missed you at Midway by 1 day it seems (heading to Sewing Summit). Not sure what I would do if I actually saw "THE" AMH at the airport. Pretty sure I'd pee my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anna!
    I just finished making version C of the Student Art Tote and I LOVE IT. Sorry about the all caps thing, but, oh my. My friends love it, strangers love it, and even my husband was impressed. Thank you for a wonderful pattern (again). And I used your home dec fabrics from Innocent Crush. Now people think I'm weird because I have them pet my bag. Loves it! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  30. I, except that when any one checkbox is clicked the pop-up menu window automatically closes while the link opens in the window that triggered the popup and not a new window! No example has been provided for this script.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a helpful reading material for me, I’ve learned a lot of new things. Thanks for the great post

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Really colorful dresses, I have never seen before.

    great places to travel

    ReplyDelete
  33. Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This site is excellent and so is how the subject matter was explained. I also like some of the comments too.Waiting for next post.

    ReplyDelete