Thursday, June 30, 2011

Spinning Stars

finished.juliana.throw

Enter Spinning Stars Quilt.

I've designed this new free pattern for my Loulouthi fabrics, which you can grab off my MAKE page, and we've prepared kits over here for each of the palettes. This one above is a throw size, made up of 9 blocks, and from the Juliana palette.

tied.stars

I hand tied the throw with a pretty aqua pearl cotton, at every corner and every center of each block. Hand tying is fun for me, quicker than hand quilting and I like the fuzzy little knots poking up across the surface of the patchwork. Sort of silly almost, but still pulled together. I aspire to be just like a hand tied quilt. (Anyway, YES, I know! Where are those stinkin' thread kits? I'm twiddling my thumbs along with some of you, but I was told end of June, so it should really be any day now.)

eleni.palette.quilt

While I do love the messy, mix-y , patch-y of a quilt, I decided to play around with some solids too. Its amazing how different these quilts with the solid bands are. And how the solid influences the feel and color story of the whole thing. This solid aqua is paired with fabrics from the Eleni palette. I also backed this one with voile, which makes your needle just sink right in beautifully if you are handquilting, and who wouldn't want a layer of that against you on a cool night? So soft. It was such a push to get each of these finished before market, so I had some help from my pal Brittney to piece two of them (thanks Britt!). And while its not really recommended to bind up the edges before you quilt the layers together, market will push you into just that kind of corner.

spinning.star.corner

So it came along just like this, safely pinned, and waiting to have the stitching realized (as it still waits). The main reason I introduced solids to these is to have some open ground to feature hand stitching. So on the above I'm a little torn between tying and stitching. Hmm. Every quilt I design is like a new friendship, and you learn something. What I've learned from this one, is that I gravitate towards blocks that have a center, as do these pie shapes, and so the background stars. There is so much power play that can happen between the two, depending on how the color and depth arrangement gets fooled with, that you can really go on and on. Which is just the point to all this I believe.

isabela.crib.quilt

And I did-go on, and on! This is a crib size version from the Isabela palette, and I love it! So fun to hand stitch in playful primaries.

stitched.star

And extremely enjoyable to allow the background stars to be really graphic, using high contrast colors from the gold and blue. I think I like this poppy-ness partly because its a small-scale, playful quilt.

stitched.path

I put a solid voile on the back of this one, to give various hues of stitching center stage.

summer.pie

Spinning Stars. I hope you enjoy it! I had no idea when I was drawing it up a few months ago that it would be such a summery, starry tie-in to the upcoming holiday. Hooray.

Sparkley wishes, and lots of love, AM

48 comments:

  1. It is absolutley gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All stars! These are each so beautiful and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the free pattern it is stunning. Love those solid bands in there, especially the aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are amazing. If I haaaad to pick a favorite, I think it would be the last one. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is gorgeous ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful quilt and you have given instructions for different sizes. I wish we could get more of your fabric here in Great Britain more easily.
    Thank you for the pattern. And it would be good if we could buy the lovely thread too. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These really are beautiful quilts. What a cool way to showcase your new fabric collection. At first I really loved the patchwork look of the Juliana version, but the more I read and look, the more I like the other two versions, equally, with the solids and stitching. I've always wanted to hand-tie a quilt, and wondered if it would provide enough quilting to hold the layers intact. Love the look on these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally gorgeous! I'm in love! I will make one soon!
    Hugs,
    Laurie~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally obsessed with this. I love how you mixed in some solids. Anyway, you should know I'll be making this ASAP and most likely in Innocent Crush. :D I finished up my Loulouthi quilt top today and I'm excited about handquilting it! Thanks for the pattern, AM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! I always feel like indulging in a tied quilt is something I should feel guilty about. However, I can never quite muster that guilty feeling because the ties are just simplistic bits of texture that make my heart sing. I think the technique is especially joyous in this quilt. As is the hand quilting in the second one. As always, you're providing lots of inspiration! Thank you! Have a safe holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love the way your fabrics look pieced together in quilts. I was smitten with the first one until I saw the solids mixed in, what a beautiful way to showcase hand quilting! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quilt! You are just so talented and so generous to share with us!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much!!! It's just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! I've never done any hand quilting before, but this definitely inspires me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. Love the solids background.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the hand stitching on the solid fabrics. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [01 Jul 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know I already commented, but could you perhaps post a picture of the whole quilt with the blue rings? I apologize if it is pictured on the pattern (I can't open it for some reason, but I'll figure it out for sure). Sorry for two comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A thing of beauty is a joy forever - your hand stitching is such a pleasure to see, always! An inspiration. Very beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, I LOVE that crib quilt!! The hand quilting is beautiful - how do you find the time??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely quilt - I especially like the hand stitching

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous pattern! I especially love the voile backed one, and the hadn stitching really makes it special! I have got my sticky fingers on some loulouthi that I need to decide what to do with, so this has got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow.
    beautiful.
    best quilt ive seen in awhile. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous! Really loved the colors you used on the 2 last ones, as well as the sneak peak earlier :) Thanks for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i absolutely love the one with the solids. it is perfect. the handquilting makes it even better. you're inspiring me to give handquilting a try.

    amazing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for the pattern. I love the one with the solids and hand quilting. Just the inspiration I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love all the colours! so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! I really love the hand stitching with the solids!

    ps- my son call the little hand-tied knots on his quilt "butterflies" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I love them, love them, LOVE THEM!!! I wish I had the patience to quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooops.. I was signed into my daughter's account and didn't realize it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are so beautiful. Just love the one with solid color in it too. The bright colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the quilt! The last one with the stitches is absolutely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. more gorgeous-ness!
    off to buy some aqua freespirit solid! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the baby quilt with the hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The last one is especially lovely to me. I ca appreciate each print more because the solids let my eyes rest and showcases the prints. Love the colored quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh so beautiful!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely love the contrasting quilting thread. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. so stunning! i love the stars and the hand quilting is so refreshing and the best part ~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  39. I saw this and fell in love ... when I saw the pattern, I felt a bit intimidated. I decided to create a test block to see if I could manage and fell in love once again. The ease of this pattern is incredible. I muddle through picking fabric, ironing cutting out templates, cutting fabric, and stitching it together in under 2 hours! I can't wait to make my Isabella Spinning Star Quilt. I have a hunch this will become my go to pattern for baby quilts! I love the idea of voile for backing and hand quilting. Thanks very much for creating a easily made, stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have just begun to follow your brilliant example of quilting with embroidery floss. My vintage re-pieced quilt top, which is edged in white, now has hand-drawn, embroidered/quilted flowers all along the border, and the process is liberating from the tiny, tiny stitches in ecru that I used to make. Your stars are a beautiful example of this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Following Google’s inability to android tablets secure perhaps the biggest block of android phones mobile patents ever put up for cheap android tablets auction last week, the cheap android phones partners who have been key to its success are going to start seeing the mobile-computing equivalent wholesale android tablets Even before the Nortel patents were put in play Microsoft had launched a mobile strategy aimed at convincing Android partners that Android wasn’t really free: there was a patent-licensing toll that just hadn’t yet been collected. 2945abc45 0718

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow I love the hand quilting! That must have taken so long! I love your work, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow looks awesome, I really lo0ve the colors, the combination of color is amazing, and the design make want one...thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful fabric! So many gorgeous colors! The fabric are stunning and I love the pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.




    Cheapest Tablet PC in India

    ReplyDelete