Sunday, June 19, 2011

the Source

view.from.Greece
(a view from the porch of my Dad's house in Greece)

Because of my dad, I witnessed very early in life that painting is a perfectly fine thing to do with your time.
Because of my dad, I learned that how you spent your day, in spite it's struggles, was simply the path to get you home with your family under one roof, together each night.
Because of my dad, I didn't even know until I was twenty or so that there are places that will change your car's oil for you.
Because of my dad, I learned that olive oil, fresh tomatoes, salt and crusty bread can be enjoyed at 7am as easily as 11pm (and most especially if its past your bedtime and you're invited out of bed to the late night kitchen table in your nightgown to "have a few dunks with bread").
Because of my dad, I may have anywhere between 3 to 6 gallons of the purest, greenest, most beautiful olive oil from his trees in Greece in my home, at any given time.
Because of my dad, I learned to never take a photograph of people enjoying a meal after the meal is over and there is nothing but empty plates on the table. (What the bleep is the point after the food is gone? People might think you don't have any food.)
Because of my dad, I don't get scared when people yell.
Because of my dad, I welcome being told that I am doing anything the wrong way.
Because my dad, I learned that watermelon is best kept cold while camping if you're able to get that good spot towards the back of the campground with the stream, so that you can wedge the melon between a few rocks and let the cold rushing water do the rest.
Because of my dad, I've never bought a house that wasn't situated up on a bit of a hill and well above the road level (this has saved me and my family more than once).
Because of my dad, I know that I could have bought any of those houses for less, if I'd just held out a little longer after the 4th counter offer (but I couldn't stand it).
Because of my dad, I know that after you cut the fourth leg off of a frog it can no longer hear, as evidenced by it staying still when you tell it to jump (sorry, really, really bad family joke).
Because of my dad, I knew that dating a boy should commence somewhere around 35.
Because of my dad, I knew I was entirely loved even when I brought home a boy at 18, and then his baby at 19.
Because of my dad, I learned that unconditional love is the most difficult, most worthwhile thing you do in this life.
Because of my dad, I've had the joy of drifting into a late afternoon nap (on that porch shown above), blown by a gentle breeze sweeping down a mountain side, and sung to sleep by the rolling, chiming sound of sheep's bells in the distance.
Because of my dad, I learned to embellish my storytelling with anything necessary to make it all a little more humorous or enjoyable, and to be sure that no one is ever laughing harder at the story than me.
Because of my dad, I learned the harder you try not to bring something up in conversation the longer it takes you stop making (and remaking) your point once you do (dad, are you paying attention?)
Because of my dad, I know my single most important accomplishment was finding a man that would love, provide and care for me and our children, in every adventure life brings. Even if it was that 18 year old kid that I brought home about 20 years too early for my dad's liking.

Happy Father's Day to the both of them! Wishing all of you dad and dad-figures every happiness today!
xoxo, AM

46 comments:

  1. Us lucky ones that have a good one and appreciate it. Written beautifully.Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, very touching and moving for Father's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad and my Dad sound similar in a lot of ways.... it's the Mediterranean blood in them, mine is from Malta.

    dxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Many years to your Dad!! Axios!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really special, Anna. What a blessing to have such a wonderful father.

    Also, it really made me want to fall asleep on a porch listening to sheep-bells. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, ever so eloquently and personally, what is undoubtedly such a loving and close relationship. Your post is making me think hard about what I am, 'because of my Dad' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing with us..... he gave you a beautiful name too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing post- you are such a wonderful writer- I have tears in my eyes:) just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Dear Anna,

    what a beautiful and loving post.

    Sadly enough I do remember what I am thanks to my father.

    gerda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, so lovely Anna. My dad is Italian, and that bit about yelling really resonated with me. And the bit about bringing home the boyfriend and the baby a bit early for his liking...
    Happy father's day to all the great dads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well put! You are fortunate to have such a wonderful dad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was very wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post, AM. Clearly you have a very loving father. Also, I am envious of that view! Hope your day has been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how a post about your father reveals so much about you. Thank you for sharing.

    Oh and the other day I was having kind of a lousy day and decided I needed a little fabric therapy. After some online shopping and a full cart, I realized that all of the fabrics were yours from a myriad of different lines. They just all made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful and heart felt post, i had a huge lump in my throat while reading it, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Irina1:46 AM

    Simply wonderful, Anna. Now I'm sitting in my office w/ tears in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have also been reflecting on my family today and after reading your beautiful post realise it is all in the unconditional love!
    Thank you for puting it into words why family is so so special
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. In New Zealand Father's day is in September, don't ask me why as it seems an especially American day. But I still wish the fathers in your family all the best things fatherhood can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet sweet tribute to your dad! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, Greece: sheep bells clinking in the distance. I visited when I was 23, for a month, and its magic will last me until the day I die...

    ReplyDelete
  21. :D Thanks for sharing, :S :D beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so beautiful and inspires me to be a better parent ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just beautiful! Our dad's sound a lot alike (except mine lives in Vegas). Must be the Greek in them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous view!!! Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  26. because of your dad, I got to read this! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your DAD and YOU sound like wonderful people!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your Dad got a real kick out of this after getting home from Greece last night! Every now and then we're laughing as we think of things to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a beautiful tribute... and a lucky daughter :>

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful, heartfelt post :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful. I lost my dad in 2006, and every year I take time to be thankful for the lovely memories I have of him.

    I have come to visit via Soulemama, where your post struck a chord with me as a writer and mother of four, constantly trying to juggle space and time. I am glad I did. I love your blog.

    Rachael x

    ReplyDelete
  32. My dad was Greek, too, but he didn't have a house in Greece--I wish he had! I was struck by how that's such a big list...my dad died when I was 12, but I'm sure I must have learned a lot from him in those 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello! What a beautiful post and lovely way to write! I'm happy to hear about your Greek roots.
    Lots of sunny wishes from a Finnish woman living in Crete! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  34. kalispera, its time i read one of your posts that shares a little bit of your greek side , i feel so proud ( you bring a nice image of greeks to the world ) ,
    it is very moving this post.
    i expect to meet you in person when your youngest will be old enough to know his greek herritage . i wish i had enough money and propose you a partnership ( wishful thinking ) :)
    greetings from one greek to another

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have such a way with words that your posts like this one often bring tears to my eyes, but in a good way. It sounds like you have an amazing father, and an amazing husband, and I hope they both had a great Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. so true everything you wrote... I am happy to have a father (-in-law) from Greece... and really love every moment of our lives here in Greece... it does not matter what they say, what they write about the conditions in Greece.. I love it here. People are kind and most important - the men remain men, husbands, fathers, grandfathers and fill our lives with "sophia - wise words, philosophy, agapi - love and being a family!"... kisses from Rhodes island

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats, lucky you also, because you had a dad, in my side were very different, my mother just accomplish on gave me everything to grown up except love and i learn how to be polite and do good things in my way, almost always the bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an image that's exactly what I wanted to see today because I needed an incentive to begin my day with energy.

    ReplyDelete