Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Snapshots of Progress

studio.practice

Last week once the insulation was put into the attic Isabela was overcome by how suddenly the cave of a room felt like a real room. And I agreed. The sound changed in there altogether and felt much more like a space that we would actually inhabit. I had settled into my living room chair to do embroidery and she bounded in and said

"Come on, lets work up in the new studio!"

"No way, it's a mess up there, and there's no light," I laughed back.

"But Mom, its your new studio, and we can take a light and put blankets down over the dust," she pleaded.

"Oh, Belle, I just don't want to be in a mess, I'm too comfortable down here, sorry."

And then when I looked for her at bedtime, I found her and Eleni just as they are shown above. Staking their claim on the space while its still in this fort-like adventurous state. Her pure eagerness came as such a needful reminder of my good fortune in creating this space.

ready.for.drywall

The next morning, they hauled loads 12ft long drywall sheets up through the scaffold and through the open soon-to-be window hole after they had papered all the floors to protect them from the coming mess.

sunny.sweeper

And speaking of messes. We finally had some sun the other day but our window space it still mostly boarded up until the real windows are in place. This eager sweeper mumbles at the bottom of the stairs everyday for a chance to go up and act out the role of worker. He watches Geoff and Pat in action, and then tries to emulate their skilled labor. Mostly that means he stands near some wall or structure, pushes on it, and grunts to make it sound like really hard work. I love watching him figure out this big mess that we're making, and also getting to watch the details of putting it all back together.

scaffold.show

And today, after the long and boring, 10-day drywall process is finally complete, Pat watches for Geoff's signal to send up more oversize materials through the scaffold and window hole 3 stories up. The scaffold is set against the house right next to one of the current studio windows, and so every now and then my peripheral vision catches a man scaling the side of our house. (It keeps you dressed in your own home, that's for sure.) But Roman. Oh my goodness, if he sees them climb up, he gets so excited runs to the chair under the window, does his own scaling up to the back of the chair, and watches their every move as they unload all manner of wonders out the back of their work van.

light.at.the.end

This week should see all the built-in shelving go into place and at least one large window installed, and if we're really lucky, a power coat of primer paint on everything. And then, pals, we'll have another look. Okay?

Feeling united in sadness & prayer with so many souls across the world for Japan.
love, Anna Maria

34 comments:

  1. My little guys love to watch any work being done on our house or in the neighborhood. I love hearing how engaged Roman is in all of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My attic space is my craft space....it's a GREAT little getaway! You are going to love it so much up there! It's coming along so nicely (and that Roman of yours, what a doll!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a great space for you. We just has sheet rock done today on our lower guest room and I wanted that color of paint off you blue wall in the living room. I settled for a Ralph Lauren paint called Baltic Blue. The bottom have of the wall is pine, ceiling white and one wall all white. It's very messy with the sheet rock dust isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing...I just love it and can't wait to see the final results :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how quickly things can come together, big hole to the possibility of painting!
    I think it's great that the kids get to see and live it all - great experience for them.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how Roman watches the work from the window! It reminds me so much of when I was a teenager, and my baby brother was 3. We had just moved to our new house in Maine, and he would sit in the front yard playing in the sand, that was to be grass, while I sat in the window watching him. Funny how an image can trigger a memory. He's graduating highschool now. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how busy little boys can sit in rapture watching men work, or machines dig. Hey, I didn't know you'd hired zztop to reno your new studio! Lookin' good, btw. You must be a wee bit anxious now that it is so close - I'd be itchin' to get all set up for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys love to see how things work. This looks so exciting! I can image how beautiful you will make it soon. A studio to dream of...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Really?! Drywall done in a day?! AT least the pictures seemed like that's the time-span in which you conquered the dust and mud...ugh! My beautiful sewing gal friend is STILL awaiting her finished sew space. Ten months and hoping in KS...until then, the sew.must.go.on!---- Trenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is exciting. I love new spaces! Roman... so adorable with his big helper smile.
    Keep us posted. This is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! When did Roman grow up! He is so handsome! I love the photo of the girls in the attic. How exciting for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trenna- hahaha I wish! The drywall took about 10 days! Its just there was no need to continue photographing those really boring sequences :) So I squashed into here!
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so exciting! Loving that you are letting us in on the project. It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness - Your little one can come sweep here anytime. My smallest just turned 2 and I can't get the broom away from him. So if you are stopping in CT let me know - we can have a dust pan party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so fascinating for y'all (and all of us) to watch the process! wonderful your kids are so excited already. getting close now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post about your children--I'm sure it must be easy to get caught up in the stress of so much going on in your house, but this is such a lovely reminder to stop and enjoy our children--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see it when it's finished! It looks like it'll be AMAZING. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photo's that first one looked almost as if you were actors on a stage its lovely. Bless the kids is nice when there just as excited as you ;-)) enjoy it all. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna Maria, these six little words from you helped me process my feelings about the images from Japan, "feeling united in sadness and prayer." Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's fun to watch your progress! I'm excited to see your new beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You must be excited that things are coming together! Thanks for sharing the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome progress! I bet you can hardly sleep at night, very exciting stuff. I'm anxious to see what you do with it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If the kids are already excited about spending time there you know It's going to be an amazing space.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Roman is adorable! How is he so blond- were all your kids light-haired when they were little? Thank you so much for these neat glimpses into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Watching your progress is fun, but I'm ashamed- all my attic/sewing room needs is a good painting and some organizing, but I never seem to find the time to do it! You're an inspiration, please keep sharing your ideas! PS: I just bought your books at Amazon, love them both! They're part of the reason I don't have time for painting... ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your little man looks like a little man! Does that just happen one day, a baby turns to a little person with no warning...it seems that way in my home anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My son was born just a few months before Roman and this age is just utterly spellbinding! I love watching how just run of the mill stuff is the most amazingly enjoyable thing to explore.

    I love the look of your new space, can't wait to be jealous of the final product, not just the stages along the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is going to be an amazing space!

    ReplyDelete
  29. it's coming along so nicely, you must be getting so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wowza!!! Love it and can't wait to watch you create in that beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So excited for you guys! And your children and their own forms of involvment is precious! They are growing quickly. :)
    Loves, Aminta

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the post! WOW! This is amazing! I am very interested because we recently finished our attic also. We too gutted it to the studs. I'm amazed how similar it is to your attic. I am planning on posting pics on my blog soon.
    I some how stumbled upon your blog and I was attracted to it because "Horner" was my maiden name! (maybe theres some relation down the line) Any way, I'm so glad I found it! Once I started looking on your blog I couldn't stop! I absolutely love it!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just happened across your awesome blog and loved that you are a TN gal like me then I got the surprise of all surprises when I saw a picture of Mr. Pat supervising your attic remodel. I knew him way back when when he was in charge of driving the wagon and all things awesome at Marymount. That just made my day. Love your blog and everything you make by the way!

    ReplyDelete