Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bubbliness

bubbliness
Have I said yet that finishing the book is really just the beginning of the book? It's true. It is. You are not yet free from reading about the process, and mostly because I'm fortunate enough to be playing several roles in this adventure story. So the projects are drafted and made, the instructions and techniques have all their illustrations, the text is written, the cover photos are taken, but I am now working on the majority of the interior photography. I have never considered myself a photographer. (I hope my publisher isn't reading this.) I think I get lucky every now and then, and sorta know what I'm doing. I do think that when something good happens in my photographs its a little of both, luck and knowing only a little. I think above all else, I am an image maker and photography, just another medium. My favorite scheduled photo day so far has been the day spent with a fun project and that precious little Cece up there. I had to stop and nibble her toes every now and then which made the shoot take at least an extra hour. I absolutely cannot stand how cute this baby is. On the very day we did this shoot, my brother in New York called me in the midst of it to tell me that my new niece Grace Kalliope was born. What a joy! There really is nothing like a new baby. Only a few days previous my oldest friend Jennie gave birth to twins. So poor Cece suffered through all the affection I had built up for these long distance babies. Ahh! Beautiful bubbly babies!

izze

In addition to scheduled shoots with highly paid (in kisses) models, I have been stricken with an odd desire to photograph random objects around the house. I'll see light hitting something a certain way when passing through a room or like the photo above just see pretty colors. Oooooh pretty colors. I'm really so easy to please. I find that tinkering with the camera in controlled situations like these is a great way to get to know your camera and experiment. Its like any new relationship I guess, you have to spend some time with your new friend to understand them a little better.

mmm.that.was.good

Interacting with your subject matter is highly recommended as well. Totally safe when its just a kissable baby or a non-alcoholic drink. But speaking of, I need to say that this Izze business is SO yummy! I am not a fancy fruity drink drinker by any means. I'm basically a milk, oj, coffee, water kinda girl. But I have some news. This stuff is like midday wine! SO good and naturally sweet but not too sweet and definitely wine like but doesn't make you sleepy or want to eat a plate of gouda and crackers. I have only tried the pomegranate at Juliana's request. She loves it. Wait a minute. Fruit drink tastes like wine. Juliana likes fruit drink. Why does she like it so much?

hmmm.
xoAM

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip...I'll have to try it out! Don't worry about Juliana. We all know she just has very sophisticated taste! Cute pictures.
    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute baby sugar pictures! Congratulations on your new niece and your best friends babies!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Izze too! I love the pomegranate (possibly that wine connection you noticed) but I recently tried the pink grapefruit and it's yummy as well. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, congratulations auntie! Babies are soooo sweet.......glad you are enjoying the process of your book in the making. Even though it may seem stressful at times, we can see your joy, through the fun photos and posts you are sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With pictures taken around the house I always wonder what everything looks like that is not in the picture. I can stage grand sets as long as they only encompass the little square in my viewfinder. No one realizes that right next to the picturesque object is a pile of mail, next to the pile of laundry, next to the breakfast dish still sitting there at 4 pm. It might be interesting to do an "About the house zoom in and zoom out" set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I am often asked how my pictures look so neat, which is why I feel compelled to share images of my laundry every now and then! :)
    Perception is a grand thing... xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree...which is why I'm trying to take at least one picture per day. I love your pictures here at the blog, they always look so happy.

    I saw the pomegranate izze at the store and almost bought it, but thought I might hate it. Now I'm definitely getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! We enjoy the occasional Izze in our house (just my husband and I, the kids haven't discovered carbonation yet). It's great with a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. first time saying hi! i love your blog and designs and can hear the smile that comes through each of your posts. and don't sell yourself short - your pics are amazing, full of life and color. congrats on the new little in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer1:26 PM

    Hi Anna,

    I don't think I've posted before but I love reading your blog . . . and sewing with your fabrics! I have a number of your Bohemian prints that are well on their way to becoming Amy Butler Gumdrop Pillows, with the scraps becoming purses and cuffs for me of course. :)
    I also wanted to say that my day job is a production manager at a publishing house that specializes in art books. While it looks like you're in good hands with your book, I did want to offer the suggestion that you press check your book if that option is available. It's hard work, but it really makes the difference. For instance, you've written about The Uncommon Quilter, which I also have and find inspiring but the production work on that book was terrible, and one of the things lacking was a good proofing/press check on the art. You can get much better color and sharpness than that!
    Anyway, hope you don't find this too intrusive . . . but beautiful fabrics and sewing deserve beautiful representation. Thanks so much for the always-inspiring work you do . . . you help me to remember just how much beauty there is all around us, all the time.

    Cheers,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer your comments, all of them, are much appreciated!!
    with thanks! xo,Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. On my last trip to Costco I came across a three flavor box of Izze and decided to give it a try, they were the pomegranate, clementine, and blackberry. All are quite yummy and a great way to keep yourself from drinking soda. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of such a drink. Ill have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like more than luck to me :)...you are a true talent and I so enjoy your beautifully shot, colorful images. You constantly inspire me to improve my own photography skills. Can't wait to see the book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I must try Izze! We call my daughter our little sommelier because she loves to taste... I'm not worried about her being irresponsible when she's older. She knows what can happen. And Juliana is a smart girl. I agree with Jennifer... it's just like checking fabric colors! It's amazing how just a little change in the print color can throw off a picture. You should be seeing proofs to okay (I would demand it!). I love your everyday photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't believe I've just discovered your blog. So inspirational. Love your fabric, of course! And as for Izze...my teen son turned me on to it. It's a homemade pizza companion in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The baby pics are so sweet, random pics lovely and I happen to be drinking a Blackberry Izze right now. :oP Now that I know I can get them in bulk at Costco I'm all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read your blog through my RSS feeder (and click into the blog) and your post after this one, which had such a tantalizing sentence in it, won't load... Thought I'd mention it in case you didn't realize... I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh -- yummy baby kisses. I do know what you mean about photos -- I take lots, and hope for the best. It doesn't always turn out, but when it does, magic! As for the publishing part, nope, not over by a long shot. You still get to do proofs, deal with fact checkers and editors, revisions, etc....a long, long process yet. But, on the plus side, at the end you get to see your name on the cover of a book. Another kind of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That Izze pomegranate drink always catches my eye at the health food store. Next time I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous2:31 AM

    Anna Maria, I so enjoy your blog and your talent is inspirational to say the least. I'm one of your Mom's crazy WW Quilters' Thread friends. I picked up the BH&G Spring Edition and was just thrilled to see the article about you! I am so happy that you are getting the recognition you so truly deserve! Carolany

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jennifer12:19 PM

    Okay, sorry to nudge in one more time . . . yes, as Bethany said, you should definitely see proofs to approve (and if wet proofs are an option go that route, worth the $ every time); that should be a given even if you weren't the photographer as well as the author. But a press check is a step beyond, and it's well worth the extra $ (as well as just being a really cool experience). If anyone even hints about "maybe we just might have enough money for a press check" say yes yes yes.

    Cheers,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice pictures, I'm an izze addict!! I love the clementine flavor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never heard of Izze. Maybe I'll try it when I get back to the USA. I love the "every color" represented in your last two photos. Very cool. ~jen~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Ana. I´m your fan, your work and fabrics it´s excellent. Thanks

    Sonia :)

    Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Ana. i love your blog.
    i have very beautiful China paper cutting.
    the art of China paper cutting handmade
    welcome to my blog
    My blog:
    http://giftabc.blogspot.com
    Paper cutting catalog:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/giftabc
    Email: giftabc@gmail.com
    My name: Bruce An

    ReplyDelete