Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Creeping (not creepy, though)

creeping.1

This is not a stage setting for Hansel and Gretel. This my favorite spot on our property. There's a curved crab orchard stone wall topped with a low hedge that encircles a large raised area of the yard containing a group of about 4 or 5 trees. The trees are close enough together to create a huge canopy for the mossy, clover filled ground below. It's where we have the little playhouse situated, and also Leo's puppy-house behind, which is the green one in the photo up there. Why do we get such a green photo in the middle of winter? Good question! But it's been in the 6o's here for a few days which is surreal, and make-believe-like all in itself. Almost theatrical. It's also insane windy out there. Quite literally, it is howling.

creeping.2

I've swarmed the warmth for days now with a flurry of outdoor book photography that I did not think would be possible during the winter. I'm happy to report one success after another, and I'm remembering again why I decided to do this in the first place. My manuscript deadline is creeping up on me, and then the photography deadline soon after. So it will likely be a little quiet here the next week or two. Its hard to concentrate on the final details of the writing when I have all these fun completed book projects waiting for their close-ups. Harder still is not sharing them with you! Agonizing! Oh the pain of it.

little.house

Jeff has been telling me about this major starling problem that the Vanderbilt campus is having. They apparently have reeked havoc on several trees and people to the point where they are sending around trucks in the afternoons to scare them off. The trucks have big megaphones on them that blow out scary-to-a-bird noises like the sound of a giant screeching eagle. The latest noise of choice, apparently, is some bottle-rocket kinda noise. Imagine walking down the street and hearing that not knowing of the great bird send-off plan! I was pondering what noise a truck could blow-out as it drove by my house that could scare me into finishing this book. I said pondering. Haven't actually thought what the noise would be. Okay we've gone from Hansel and Gretel to Hitchcock-like. I told ya the air out there was weird. Oh! Leo just growled really loud in his sleep at my feet. I believe he just scared me into writing. Good boy!
xo,AM

24 comments:

  1. I can't wait for you to share your new project! Waiting impatiently...

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this kind of weather is only the beginning of what we're in for in the next years. It was 63° in Chicago yesterday. That's just not funny anymore. With thunderstorms and rain, rain, rain.

    We're not gonna like it very much when Lake Michigan comes up over the shore. At least you're more inland.

    Since no one in charge is doing anything about it all, I need to just keep my nose to my project grindstone until I get swept away.

    *wan smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband10:58 AM

    Maybe you're rambling because you're actually procrastinating? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. you are just the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anna, you're so fun....I wish you the best of luck wrapping the "seams up"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, photos are getting pretty darn good around here! Are you doing all of it for your book?

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. on the west side of san antonio we were infestied with these horrible black birds called grackles. they were such a nusance. as the sun was going down they would flock around the grocery store and shopping centers near the interstate and i was like a scene from hitchcock. the grocery store had these speakers that blasted out a hawk like screech but the birds ignored it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book sounds very interesting! Look forward to the time you can share. Polly x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:06 PM

    the picture with the playhouse in it looks like a picture from a movie set!

    alicia- yes, it's me! This is the way I find out what your up too!

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alicia! Was just thinking of you!
    miss you too!
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dianna8:28 PM

    Anna Maria, I <3 your fabric and your works of art! Your blog is awe inspiring! I cannot wait for your next project in the lines to come out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your property is just gorgeous. You are surrounded in so much beauty, no wonder you are always so inspired! Good luck with your deadlines.

    I just want to say 'thank you' for being who you are and so inspiring to me in both your crafts and your beautiful family nature. Today I made a pair of bikinis on my new (and all mine, got it for Christmas) sewing machine for Australia Day. I wouldn't have done it without blogs like yours inspiring me every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:55 AM

    The bird problem at Vandy is decades old. They use to shot off guns...glad they don't do that anymore!
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a beautiful, magical-feeling photo of the ivy on the tree! Thanks for sharing it! I also like the fabric silhouette instructions! I think I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the green is lovely. Its all white here! That is a funny thing - a noise that would scare you into writing. I thought you were going to say "a noise that would scare you away."

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my husband called from the road, complaining about the wind, I told him "I knew it was coming because Anna Maria posted yesterday about it"!! Just focus on how great it will feel to finish!! I am so excited about reading it when it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely and mystical setting for a playhouse. Are there 'pixie sightings' now and then? A lovely spot to let your imagination roam.
    Hugs,
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading your blog and am so excited about your new book! I hope the inspiration bug bites you soon to help you finish writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gillian11:36 AM

    Fun post... great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooohhhh....how much longer...I can bearly wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The reason mnbgqhj why the Oakley Frogskins can block the UV ray is that the lenses are coated with a layer of special film. Such Oakley Frogskin can block and absorb the UV ray as well as some visible light Cheap Oakley Sunglasses at the same time, which will reduce the transmittance of the lens. Therefore, the superior-quality Oakley Jawbone have strong resistance to the UV ray. Moreover, the coating on the lens is relatively hard and not easy to be abraded. As for how to determine whether a pair of cheap wholesale Oakley Jawbones is with UV protection function.

    ReplyDelete