Thursday, October 18, 2007

Fall firmly planted

garden.boys

All they really want is something to do. That is really it. It is so simple, if I can just remind myself of that every now and then. Something, anything. The real trick seems to be that it be something with me. Or with dad. They don't come right out and ask for it these days, but thats what they want. Us. Hmmm. How long do you think that will last?

firmly.planted

If there is one time saving life-improver I've learned, it's share the homeload with the kids. Whether its sorting socks or digging holes, if I can combine quality time with my kids and quality time with my home then we are all better for it. We both learn so much, and things get taken care of in the process. I get a lot of emails asking how I do it all....as if I do. I don't. Trust me. You saw the laundry (or half of it as my husband was clear to point out in the comments). I think what I do is respond to high-priority needs and combine them if I can. Laundry-clearly not a high priority here. Clean is enough. Folded and put away? Not generally.

mums.the.word

Anyway the simple answers don't work everyday. We lost only a few blossoms fighting over who's turn it was to separate the pansy six-packs. Then I said "GUYS, you're fighting over pansies....." (Pause. Slow forming grins.) We all had a good laugh.

nicolas.view

Nicolas took this picture by himself and we talked about how many different shades of pink and purple there were between the spent blossoms and the ones still hanging on until the first frost. He wants my camera. We've settled on privileges with the camera. He's been bugging me because I have a special delivery coming tomorrow. Can't wait to play. I'll share a weekend's worth of figuring that thing out with you next week. All that information is stored somewhere in the back of my brain from college photo classes. Just need to find the key to that brain door. xoAM

18 comments:

  1. Looks like they did a GREAT job planting. Too cute. And what a fun delivery. Can't wait to see the new photos you get with that. I'd be looking up the tracking every 5 minutes to make sure it's not getting lost somewhere. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget that a lot. If I can just keep them busy our house is a lot happier. My 2 year old loves to help me do anything. Unloading the dishwasher or putting laundry in the washer or dryer is a so much fun for him. At what age does that stop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so right.
    so many times i am so into my project and trying to figure out what i am going to do next that when they say they want to do something...anything, i shoo them away to the tv or a book when they would be happy to run a needle and thread up and down through some fabric or crochet for a while too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wise, you are. My little one (almost 4), really wants this, and it doesn't have to be anything extraordinary. Planting flowers and helping Mom is the best thing he can think of. And taking pictures, too (though I don't let him use my camera *quite* yet). Speaking of, I'm tres jealous of your upcoming special delivery! What fun! ~A :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina Halladay12:54 AM

    AM
    You are a great mom. The pear painting is coming to market with me again. Just in case you want to say Hi to it...and me!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. suzi finer1:37 AM

    worth how ever long they be...
    beautiful!
    love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I read your blog today, right before the weekend... I need to remember to spend more time doing the "chores" with the kids too.
    And your son definately has your eye...his photo is beautiful!!! Maybe he needs his own camera for Christmas?? I just love seeing creativity like that in kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a good mom. I think it is so valuable to teach our kids to work, and bond with them in the process. Go Dad...on the laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so RIGHT ON, Anna! What a good momma you are! I find that it's easier to "let" my girl help me with supper than to hear them duking it out over silly toys/games in the living room. She really just simply wants to HELP her momma! I say, LET 'EM HELP! Makes my life easier. :) Have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANNA, IT WOULD BE WISE FOR EVERYONE TO HEAR YOUR MESSAGE. THEY GROW UP SO VERY,VERY FAST.IT WON'T BE LONG UNTILL THEY DO NOT WANT TO HELP MOM & DAD. SLOW DOWN TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY. MY OLDEST DAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE 18 THIS MONTH. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!? YOUR BOYS DID A GREAT JOB IN THE GARDEN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:47 AM

    Your post takes me back to when my 22 yr old daughter was a preschooler. We would play Cinderella while we did yard work or cleaned the house. Of course, I was the wicked step mother giving her chores to do.

    ~elaine~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every time I come here I have the same thought~"She is such a great mother". You are! And the example you are for other mothers is just so wonderful. Sweet,sweet,sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kids will thank you thinking back to those moments of sharing and learning. I loved time spent doing chores like that, (even handwashing my aunt's hiking socks - apparently I was 'really good' at it!). Enjoy every precious moment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your new delivery! I have had my canon since June and I love it! Can't wait to see more lovely pictures of your fun family moments! You are an incredible mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you measure your laundry!! Thanks for this post - it's just what I needed as my kids have the next week off school and I need to remember to keep them busy doing - they enjoy helping around the house if I'm right there with them. My 6 year old daughter and I totally reorganised her bedroom today and she actually said thank you as she had had so much fun!!
    Great little gardeners you have there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. From the mom of three in their 30's.....it lasts forever! They need you and want to be with you forever....not the way they did when they were young like yours, but it is still there:D I get phone calls and invites and visits all the time with them saying they just want to spend time with us! It is the joy of being a MOTHER!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete