Sunday, October 21, 2007

Background

background

A weekend full of figuring out this new thing has been just intriguing. That's the best word I can come up with. I'm intrigued. I've had the apparently unfortunate situation for years of knowing fully how to use what I have. And now, well that's just not how it is, ever since Friday when I almost kissed the DHL guy. There are so many new variables, that I don't know what to play with first all the while trying to recommit certain photo knowledge to memory. I have a few magazine deadlines coming up for spring and summer features next year, so Juliana and I were feeling brave enough to try out the new camera for the headshots. This is my favorite one. Which pretty much sums up how that went. I honestly have never wanted to be in the background more than I did today. I felt much more like being the brain and not the face. I wanted to be the one behind the camera pushing buttons, adjusting white balance and changing Fstops. Every now and then I made Juliana jump in my spot just so I could see the set up and fidget with a few things then we'd switch again. She was incredibly patient with me switching shirts 4 times. When she got annoyed she'd just focus on something else. Obviously. More soon. I was very close to switching back to the ole point and shoot. But didn't give in. Lots to do this week as I'll be headed to Quilt Market on Thursday for a few days, but I'll try to stick my nose in here one more time before I go.
Hope you had a sunny weekend or at least a welcome rain. xoxoAM

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant shot! I am waiting on the edge of my seat for more photos from that wonder-camera ...

    Have a great time at QM! Btw - my sewing patterns will be on display over at Brewer Sewing Supply's booth - check them out if you get a chance!

    xo,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous... it looks like so much fun!!! But I get to see all the beautiful results! Are you taking it to the Quilt Market? (Is that a stupid question?!) :)

    BTW: Everything is great on the homefront and I appreciate the "talk"... I'm over my mini- midlife crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool photo AMH!
    Have fun at market! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to learn- not just leave it on auto- how to use my camera. My husband is the photographer in our house. Lucky art major!
    Me? I'm stuck with reading and trying to figure out what I'm doing, which I haven't been brave enough or had the time to dive into yet.
    Your photos are always FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. truly a lovely shot! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great investment. I need to find an excuse to get a better camera then what I've got. (I've never truly learned how to use mine either - not a fan of manuals!)

    Beautiful shot!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful shot Anna Maria!! I can't wait to see what you do with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz Cadorette7:44 AM

    I LOVE that phoot, even if we can't see your beautiful face in it.

    Dude, Quilt Market. New Camera. SO jealous. Show us more so I can live vicariously! ;)

    Have a fantastic trip. The learning curve will go fast, surely, with so many gorgeous things to look at in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz Cadorette7:44 AM

    ack! PHOTO, not phoot. I'm not sure at all what a phoot is, but evidently I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. liz-I think that a phoot is a really quick way to say photo shoot. and I could definitely use some timesavers like that!!
    :) AM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anary9:35 AM

    I already thiked, the THING!
    Anary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky lady with your new friend/cam-er-aaaa!!
    Have fun!
    Hugs,
    laurie~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandi Henderson12:23 PM

    Oh fun for you! Bring it bring it to market- I will take a picture of you with YOUR camera.
    :)
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS...saw the cute dress made up in your chocolate lollipop fabrics in this months Country Living!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna Maria are you going to be at Houston Quilt Show 10-31 or 11-1? My mom is going and I've asked her to pick up some of your material for me. Do you know the number or name of your booth. Enjoy the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The older you get, the more you'll appreciate this sort of portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! I love it Junie, maybe thats the problem :)
    Tina-I will only be at market through the 28th, but your mom can seek the Westminster booth to find my fabric!
    Thanks, xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh anna what did you get. I love the shot. a new even better toy means even more and better pictures.
    im all happy for you lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so totally jealous! I want a new camera SO bad and that one you have looks just wonderful!
    What is your booth # at market?? I will be there too (#1717)
    see ya!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there Mary, I'll be floatin around market, but mostly around the Free Spirit/Westminster booths. Not doing my own until spi\ring. Look forward to seeing you!
    xoAM

    ReplyDelete