Tuesday, September 11, 2007

She was made of grasses and gardens

She was made of grasses and gardens

Well here is the final home for the fanciful little embroideries that occupied me for a few days. They are quite happy here I do believe. A fall jacket for Isabela. Not quilty and heavy for really cold days, but just warm enough for gathering up the last remnants of summer as a cool breeze moves in. Just like it did today. It was wonderful and made me nostalgic for gleefully anticipating fall as a child.

Pocket full of posies

Each pocket got quite the inspection from the now expert. She thought the birdie could hold some more flowers for her once they were quickly plucked without permission from the fledgling newly-planted baby crepe myrtles. Kinda hard to reprimand the chubby little hands in the viewfinder whilst taking pictures, because they seemed to belong to a little flower fairy and not my Bela. How could you punish a flower fairy?

Yellow Pocket

One, two, three, four, five, six. "This little phlox flower has more petals than the one you stitched on here mommy".

It's like my boots, she said

"Oh but look at your boots, sweetie, that little pink flower only has four petals. See. We're giving all the numbers a chance." Smiles exchanged.

Yolk-a-lady-hoo

I chose some of my pal's fabric for the yoke. She always comes in handy for stabilizing some silly prints. Everything I am making these days must have a yoke. They are so pretty and antique feeling, don't you think? Especially for a lady-like waist length gathered coat featuring a mini peter pan collar. It's lined in pale blue flannel back satin that looks like an autumn sky.

Leafy arms

I could have played with her and the coat and the flowers and the camera all afternoon. I said that she would never see the world the same since she's learned to represent life in stitches. She was talking to me as I took pictures about other things we should stitch. Sticks, bugs, houses, dogs. I do hope she stitches all these memories together and gives them to her little one some day.
Oh, time passes.
xoAM

39 comments:

  1. How adorable, Anna! Simply adorable! I'm in awe, once again with your artwork....and those boots are tooooo cute! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The pockets were the perfect spot for that hand-embroidery project. That sweet girl of yours is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so stinkin cute! so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, the embroidery pockets to cute!!the boots are adorable.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. monica2:27 AM

    oh why of why didn't I have at least one girl?

    Seriously, this blog business is bad for someone who had decided that having three boys was enough...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, that jacket is adorable and the embroidered pockets look perfect on it. It's so great when your kids appreciate your craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous coat for a gorgeous girl! And I love those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet moments together for you two. The jacket is a perfect item for fall, and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with that jacket! Love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lord, your ability to sew up the most amazing things inspires some serious jealousy on my part :)

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute and so special, as she got to be a part of making it. I think she'll remember that coat forever! I just LOVED your quilted coats that you made last year. I'm so happy that you "give all numbers a chance" too... very diplomatic of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. I especially like the way you worked the embroidery right in. Fits perfectly. I am in the northern part of TN and the cooler weather is a welcome change, isn't it. And the rain, did you see the rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Sweet! The coat, the girl, the mom, the stitching. I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how I wish I could sew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! My first visit here--you have a wonderful, vibrant blog! I look forward to coming back and reading more. This jacket is delightful--that embroidery is very sweet. Will there be a grown up girls version of this one? LOL! Happy Day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How adorable.
    I see what you mean about the flower picking...how could you not let those cute little fairy hands...

    So sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll take one adult sized coat please.

    I WISH I had the talent in just one of your little fingers. *sigh* Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh the colors are so rich. What a treasure! I listened to your podcast while I was knitting a hat. Great job! It was fun to hear your voice. I was on a local radio program, being interviewed as a homeschooling mom, and it was truly strange to hear my recorded voice. What? "Is that what I sound like?"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, P.S. I wanted to know what kind of paints you use when you are in the sketching phase of your fabric designs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julie- I use a combination of graphite (pencil) and acrylic paints. Every now and then I also use pen and ink for more graphic work that will stay generally unaltered once in the computer.
    xoAM

    ReplyDelete
  21. sugarshop (Dena)1:50 PM

    So beautiful. So lucky to have little girls to doll up with your pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful. Your daughters are very lucky. I love the pretty palette.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh...now I am REALLY upset my trip to the new LQS didn't mean I got to come home with some chocolate lollipops. They had it, kind of -- long story. And, it might even make me willing to go back to the store (which I've almost vowed not to do -- hey an almost vow if you break it, not like you broke a VOW) -- or, what the heck, I can order ONLINE!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Will somebody please lend me some cute kids to make clothes for? My cats don't do dress up ... :) So inspiring, Anna Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Meg, feel free, I'll send you my address and their measurements :)
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  26. so sweet, lovely....such inspiration in those little eyes looking out on the world. fabulous jacket too! xoC

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I give you tonnes of credit for sewing for the kids. I never had much patience for clothing. Somehow I hardly made it past the jersey outfit I made in Grade 9 Home Ec! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, and where or where did those boots come from?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cheryl- Thanks! The boots are from Children's Place.
    xo, AM

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Awww...how precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the jacket!! Precious! I just finished reading more about you and your design and have to tell you that I own several yards of your fabric. Now I have a face to the designer. I am going to make some tote bags or aprons with it..still hemming and hawwing about that one. You are very inspiring to say the least! Have a lovely day! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brillant little coat!! Love your blog!It was nice to meet you at the quilt show in Saltlake City UT.
    Can't wait to get my bolts of Chocolate lollipop fabric. Maybe I'll post something on your flickr site.
    thanks for inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a cute post :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Anna Maria! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I am in Memphis. I love Nashville, my sister-in-law lives there and we travel there on occassion. I love your blog, your things, your images just beautiful. I am adding you to my blog. I will be talking to you! Oh and I love, love, love this jacket! I know your daughter must be very proud.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful project! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Allison5:35 PM

    Oh wow, I really love that jacket. Is it your own pattern? Such a sweet design and so age appropriate. I like to make my daughter's clothes too, the shop ones always seem to want to make them seem older.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is such a sweet design for a girl her age. So many little girls look like teenagers now. She looks just like a little girl should look:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think I really NEED this pattern!!! For my girl but also for me!!!
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete