Monday, September 24, 2007

Putting Summer to Bed

Looking at the back of summer

We're looking at the back of summer here as she's walking away from us. Or maybe she's just rolling over in bed for a long nap. This is the back of Isabela flitting around her room cleaning up yesterday, still in her Sunday morning dress well after 4. I made this dress in the spring and I wanted the edge ruffles to look like the edge frosting on a cake. Sweet.

Making the bed

The girls are so proud of their newly independent bed-making. They share a room with matching twin beds. We got both the spindle beds for 80$ at an estate sale and I painted them cherry red. I got their coverlets on sale for only 35$ each from Anthropologie when I was pregnant with Eleni and presumed (before I knew for sure) she was a girl and that they would share some day. They only had queen size but I cut them both down and have used the fabric for other stuff in their room.

Made

I loved making my bed when I was little - it was the only part of picking up I looked forward to. It was an empty canvas where I played out various stuffed animal-pillow arrangements and always dragged my mom in for some praise. Certainly you did that too. Isabela and Eleni both give me a big bed reveal when they're done. As I got older it was more about showing off the special corner folds of the top sheet that I learned from my mom once in anticipation of my grandparents using my room. I haven't shown them that yet. Anyway, I've learned to leave their crooked and wrinkled covers alone. (That hasn't come easily for me, but I find it very important.)

Sleeping Color

We spent the whole day with the whole family cleaning, folding, vacuuming, emptying out, straightening up and so on. Not the littlest though. Eleni, poor pumpkin, has been from one bed to another to another battling a tummy bug that has doubled my laundry load. If you saw my normal laundry load, you would come and help me fold, I just know it. By the time I finally got to my room to make my bed it was too close to bed time to bother. (Just like after you get everyone dressed and you finally go have a look at yourself in the mirror and decide its not worth it. But that could just be me.) All the bed washing the night before left Jeff and I without our comforter when it was time to go to sleep so we stole some warmth from a few other spots. He couldn't believe I let him have the quilt. I loved the way the two totally different blankets tangled (tangoed?) on our bed. I loved how hard we slept under all that hard work. Welcome Fall, make yourself at home.

31 comments:

  1. Alicia9:59 AM

    Love, love their room. I'm currently looking for a Jenny Lind bed for my little one (to paint turquoise!) and am ever-so jealous of your estate sale find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, what sweet things and sweet sweet music to my ears (the laundry story).....I feel better now, Anna Maria! ;) Hang in there sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie10:43 AM

    I love stripping the beds, letting them air out with the new fall breeze blowing thru the rooms. I spend most of the day in and out of the laundry room washing all the blankets, comforters, etc. I usually collapse after dinner with a little hand sewing project on the sofa. My sweet hubby takes our son up to bed and there ends my moment of relaxation. I hear him say "there's nothing on the beds". Eeks! back down to the laundry room to recover the covers and begin the bed remaking. By now I'm ready to collapse into bed....aah! how fresh, crisp and cool the bed feels, barely had time to enjoy it before the alarm went off at 6 am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ruffled frosting on the edge of the dress- very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be in the air -- I've had the fall cleanies, too. Sorry to hear your little one has been under the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the ruffles how id you get that look

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your title... Putting Summer to Bed. I need to get fall things out today and buy some potted mums for the front porch. I love their new red beds. We have red night tables and Lots of red things. I never got any joy out of making my bed as a child but I do enjoy it know as I love the look of the room with all my favorite things in place.
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the colors, that red bed, and especially the striped crocheted blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fall cleaning -- actually more important in my house than Spring cleaning -- in the spring we're just so happy to get outside we don't think about the dirt. But, with the house getting closed up more and the cold weather coming on, time for a general clearing out.

    I'd come over and help you with the laundry if I could -- though, then, who would do mine? Hmmmn...then again, there is that commute thing. Hope Eleni is feeling better soon -- tummy troubles are no darned fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you today. Will come regularly now to read and adore your pretty pictures. I love the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this glimpse into your world. and those frosting-inspired ruffles are gorgeous!

    i have been battling my own tummy bug, so i feel eleni's pain. i am sending her thoughts of healing so that she can be playing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:53 PM

    The ruffles DO look like the edge of a frosted cake--how lovely! I'd too would like know how to recreate that effect (though I am hardly the seamstress that you are).

    Lovely blog entry. Thanks for the gentle nudge to get my own home in order....
    Maryellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I am in love with your blog. I found it a few weeks ago and must say I am addicted. So I thought it about time I leave a comment. The colours in your house are amazing!

    I will be back for more..
    Have a great day,
    Katrina :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I hope everyone is feeling better there! My daughter was home from school with the flu today and we're bracing for more :( It seems to be going around everywhere now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was exactly the same way when I was little. I even went through a stage where I wanted to sleep on top of the covers so it would always look nice. How sweet of you to let him use the quilt. That is love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does look like icing! Love the beds and the bedding too!

    Your house looks soooo cool! It rocks with color - love it!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much good suff!
    Our bedroom is always last and the boys remark (after we have insisted they clean their rooms, NOW!) that *mom and dad have the messiest room!* LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything in your home is just so beautiful. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm completely jealous...and totally excited for fall as well!
    It's my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these pics Anna Maria. Have 2 almost identical antique spindle beds but painted black for my boys in their shared room. It makes me happy that they're sleeping on something someone else's children probably used and were comforted by...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the ruffles! You are so talented. I like the "fall cleaning" idea, since we do it in the spring why not fall!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  21. i don't know if you've seen this or not, but granny b is making good use of your fabric.:) have a great week!

    http://www.grannybsclothesline.com/catalog/item/3363922/5011385.htm

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the dress. I know what you mean about bed-making. Sweet cherry beds!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope she's feeling better now AM.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those ruffles are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This has certainly shown me that I need to get on the Internet more frequently and read my bookmarked blogs, so many to catch up on!

    My mother used to get me to try and clean up my room, but I always worked better when there was a (organised) mess. and my bed! Haha, I'd just pull the covers up and over the pillows and run my hand over it. I always thought it was silly to make it when I'd just be getting back in it, and I was the only one seeing it. I'm a bit better now that I'm older; I take more pride in how my room looks. I even put a flat sheet on my bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The colors are all so gorgeous - I love that you painted the spindle beds red :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your daughter's room - my daughter's is turquoise with fish painted all over it - I'm not sure how long that will last for her, but for now she loves it! I also love the dress and the ruffles! Em (emandmikeyATaolDOTcom)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i don't know if you've seen this or not, but granny b is making good use of your fabric.:) have a great week!chat
    sohbet siteleri
    canlı sohbet
    bedava sohbet
    ahmet kaya

    ReplyDelete