Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Light Sewing



The other night our power went out. Again. Power loss is one thing in the winter when you can huddle close, bundle up, light candles, etc. It's another thing all together when its a million degrees outside and you want to stick your head in the freezer after about 30 minutes of it. But doing that would sacrifice the freezer temperature so you don't. Luckily this time Jeff had all the little ones at the pool and stayed an extra long time realizing there was no reason for them to be at home. So Juliana read by her window in her room and I folded every clean and dry piece of laundry I could find. Then I picked up a baby gift I've been working on. On and off. Power off. Hand sewing on.



Thankfully there was about an hour or so of good light left so, I pulled a chair over to the living room window. What is it about handsewing?! Anyone else know what I mean? Are you sad when you're done? I'm heartbroken when I'm done, I cherish it, really, really. This is probably why I tend to embellish small appliqued items so frequently. I'm never ready for it to be over quite yet. So I continue the conversation between the background, the embroidery, the cut fabrics. Like hosting my favorite friends and I'm not ready for them to leave. I'm the youngest of three. I hate being left. Thank goodness there's oodles of fabric in my studio and it doesn't have anywhere it needs to be.

So the gift is a pair of miniature pillows for a new baby friend. A Miss Clarke Caldwell who is affectionately called "CeCe". This baby girl is so adorable. Especially adorable. I need to have another holding session. She just sinks right in like she knows me even though she doesn't. She will soon I guess. So I still have one more "c" to go. Yay. Now if I could just talk her mommy into naming her "CeCeCe" we'd be in business.

xoAM

17 comments:

  1. So pretty and so unique! She'll love it! I miss sweet baby smells around here. I'm actually looking forward to cooler weather just so I can curl up by the fireplace and work on projects! Hope your hot weather breaks soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so gorgeous! I have a stack of baby quilts to make but I've been so uninspired because of the heat - bring on the cooler weather...

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work! I love hand stitching too, it is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there is something about hand sewing. It's so soothing.

    They pillows are adorable! She'll LOVE them!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your embellishing your embroidery. That makes your work so special... and should be framed!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! You poor things with NO POWER in the heat of the summer! How fun to do some hand sewing! I need to take a lesson or two or THREE! I want to embelish some more on my birdies (quilt). I love the pretty "C"! Lucky bebe, CeCe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is very, very beautiful! love the embroidery and the cute yoyos :)
    your friend will love the gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it AM! Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay cuteness!
    Can we have an update on your family in Greece? I've been thinking about you all, hoping your loved ones stay safe. The news stories have painted such a scary and grim picture of the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sally-and all :)
    I have added an update to Monday's post at the end of it in the form of a letter from Athens. My family is all still well, just saddened of course. It seems the fires are less but the authorities have a lot yet to fight. The remaining fires and the fears and angers of many. Thanks for asking, I'm keeping close tabs on all my loved ones.
    xoAM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful piece! There is something so special about sewing by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is some brilliant embroidery! It is really an interesting and successful way to integrate the background and foreground. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about hand sewing. One of the things I love is sitting by a window to do it--there is just nothing like natural light, especially to eyes over 40!

    --Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in awe of your embroidery! I am just starting out with embelishment and I am enjoying every little stitch! I'm truly inspired by all your work but this "C" has required a response! I would love to know how you invent those lovely bits that swirl around the satin stitch - are you inspired by other artwork or does all this beauty live in your head? (I guess it's the latter, as I drool over your chocolate lollipop line:)

    Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete