Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cleansing the Palette



I spend my days in the studio accompanied by a spectrum of every type of material, consciously surrounding myself with vivid colors. I only get a break from it when I close my eyes, walk outside or take a shower and stare at the pale 1960's lemon yellow shower tiles 6 inches from my nose. Taking in the gorgeous coast was sort of like closing my eyes, taking a shower, and taking a walk all at the same time.



The first morning of our vacation I sneaked out of the house before anyone was awake to take some pictures of our temporary abode by the sea. (more snapshots of it here) I am not really a morning person, but I was wide awake and kept thinking I was missing something out there. What clean long breaths I took watching this sun come up.



With few visual distractions I noticed little things like the sandy footsteps that were already dusted onto our stairs and stomped into the beach to and from the water even though we'd just gotten there less than 24 hours before.



Everything was in layers. Steps, grass, sand, surf, waves, calm waters, sky.



It was a refreshing group of days that had me appreciating something subtle. Don't expect me to wear khaki anytime soon. But I'm coming to appreciate something quieter. Nonetheless, the quirky walls were glad to see me when I walked through our doors too, greeting us with hue and familiarity.



Like everything else, a little of something different every now and then is good.

xo,AM

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Where was it you went on your vacation? I assume east coast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely. just found your blog--what a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...I felt peaceful just looking at your pics! Sometimes you just need to unwind, especially when you are as busy as you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmm... sounds wonderful!! There is nothing like sleeping to the sound of the ocean and walking in the sand. What a wonderful spot to find your true 'center'.
    Joni
    Glad you're back... for our sake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics! Just looking at them brings serenity. I would like to take a beach vacation, hopefully next summer when the twins are a little older. I never feel more at peace than at the coast. I'm glad you had a chance to relax. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not only a great designer AM, but you are also a wonderful writer and photographer. I can not WAIT until your book comes out. I look forward to it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sand and Sea... it is interesting that when you find this combination for a child.. they don't seem to need anything else to entertain... it sounds like bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel more relaxed just looking at your pictures.

    Sounds like it was a wonderful break from the daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the colopurs of the see are the best colours ever! My ffamily has a beachhouse here in Holland ad I never grow tired or the greys and blues and greans and yellows of the coach. But I wear Khaki too so I'm just an odd girl I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have me dreaming of Summers by the beach. Those sandy footprints really sum it up. What fun...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like such a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great photos. And the colors. They may be calm. They may not jump out at you -- but you're right, there is something about them. Sometimes you do need a bit of it. Just a hint. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks beautiful! we actually just returned this afternoon from a short beach trip too. love reading your blog and seeing your great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful photographs so evocative of summer at the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean, when you live and work with many colours, its so relaxing to get away from it for a while, just to cleanse and tone the mind. I have tiny corners in my home that have not been touched by colour, but have been decorated with driftwood, natural linen, and lace and its nice just to sit and look in these quiet corners....your holiday looked lovely....you don't realise at the time but moments like these can set you off on new adventures...luv happy @/*-*\@

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful...I miss the coast already.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool a star fish!
    I live on the west coast, and have seen a live jelly fish at a dock and an jelly fish on the beach.
    I would like to see a star fish though... So cool that your family got to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow...amazing pics. yes, i agree, we need to refresh our creative minds every once and awhile...so nice to get away but always ready to tackle a new project..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the starfish photo. Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The reason mnbgqhj why the Oakley Frogskins can block the UV ray is that the lenses are coated with a layer of special film. Such Oakley Frogskin can block and absorb the UV ray as well as some visible light Cheap Oakley Sunglasses at the same time, which will reduce the transmittance of the lens. Therefore, the superior-quality Oakley Jawbone have strong resistance to the UV ray. Moreover, the coating on the lens is relatively hard and not easy to be abraded. As for how to determine whether a pair of cheap wholesale Oakley Jawbones is with UV protection function.

    ReplyDelete