Friday, June 01, 2007

NYC series-5-Reasons to be Home

Warning, serious home happiness is rampant throughout this post. If you're not willing to cock your head to the side and say 'awe', you should stop reading now.



Jeff and I arrived just in time last Wednesday morning from NYC to get changed and ready for Isabela's last day of pre-K picnic. This is such a big deal as she is on her way to kindergarten this fall. We only wish she could bring her teacher Ms.Pam with her. The amazing Ms.Pam who has taught several of our children not to mention who prepared those scrumptious strawberry delights for her picnic parents. Such a kind heart.



All the food we had in NYC was so delicious, of course. If you can believe it, I actually missed standing at my own stove and cooking a simple spaghetti dinner. I missed folding laundry (is something wrong with me?) and I actually craved a little housecleaning, sweeping, plant watering and weeding. Weird.



Would not have wanted to miss the first captive of the summer. Isabela insisted that this moth was a butterfly which is so much more beautiful than a moth. We soon set it free, but it actually seemed quite happy on her finger for awhile. There's also been several firefly captives who either managed to escape our jars or have been set free the following morning. I saw some gorgeous things in NYC but not one real butterfly or firefly.



I loved the flower stands perhaps more than anything during my sidewalk adventures. The idea of stopping and getting a new bundle every other day for my swanky flat in my imaginary life in the city seems a most perfect luxury. But I was needed here with my own homegrown roses to defend them against the threat of the strong boy-kicks behind that soccer ball (notice a few prematurely dropped petals).



I was very inspired by the windows, art and such that I found on my little snap-happy journey. I have several more "street" series photos to share, actually. Seeing all the references to the handmade made me itch to get back to my own projects in my own studio. I'm diving back into my book writing and feeling really fortunate about this project. It's the main gig for the rest of my summer, along with some other fun. Juliana's been joining me a little more in the studio since school's been out too. Sewing for herself pattern free, photographing her artwork, manipulating it in the computer. We'll share some of that later. Watching her work is like watching my favorite movie.



A few nights ago we had our first marshmallow roast in the fire pit at the back of the property. Most of that was spent with Jeff fending off all the bajillion questions from the boys about whether they can stir the fire or re-situate a log, or just light this one little branch to play with. I just kinda sit quietly and laugh at how annoyed he gets and how threatening to put the fire out or send them to bed doesn't stop the questions. Fire is just so stinkin exciting for goodness sake! That's a very blurry view from the campfire of our house, the hills beyond and the intense blue sky right before pitch-black. I guess blurry is fine. Having that perspective on the house, smelling the wood burn, cuddling one or more in my lap, is dreamlike and blurry.

Hoping you have a bajillion reasons to be where you are. Good weekend, xo,AM

20 comments:

  1. Awwwww! (Couldn't resist!) I know how you feel. Going to the city and feeling so cosmopolitan and part of the culture is awesome and exhilirating. But at heart I am a homebody, and being surrounded by pets and kids and flowers and bread really makes me feel joyfully at peace. Best to you! ~A :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww.........there's no place like HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home is a great place to be. (I would love to stand at my stove if it looked like yours. :) Lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home is definitely where the heart is. Glad you could relish all the moments at home, with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to say, Isabela is right that is a butterfly. When moths close their wings they sweep back, while butterflies fold up. I teach montessori preschool and Kindergaten and we have been studing butterflies for the past few weeks.
    Glad you are home I missed the inspiration while you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Indeed, that is a butterfly! You can also tell the difference by the antenna: only butterflies have the little nub on the end, and most moths have somewhat "feathery" antenna. That looks like maybe a Painted Lady or some kind of Fritillary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thankyou! I love when my kids are right! The moth-y colored butterfly really is a butterfly. Of course she already knows this, so its not news to her. Just me.
    xoAM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just an inspiring post. It's wonderful when you know exactly where you belong. I've always felt like I belonged right where I am in my home but how I now miss my children who are all grown up and married. But I am Ga-Ga over my new grandson. And it begins again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got kind of misty eyed reading the last paragraph...it all seemed so peaceful and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. today was our last day of school so looking forward to lots of family time this summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when I came back from the New York Stationery Show/Surtex a few years ago, and although NYC is an amazing place, I had never been so happy to come back home. I just love creating a peaceful home-our home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, big cities are great. NYC is one of the greatest (though I do have a special fondness for my own city by the lake). But I had a chance to live in one. I chose to come home to my cornfields. I found my husband in these fields, and my daughter is being raised here -- where she can stop and smell roses blooming and watch butterflies land in the bushes. Where the fireflies rise up out of the grass and fields and look like a thousand fairies lifting off.

    Cities are great to visit -- everyone should spend time in one. But home -- oh home is so much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous turquoise subway tiles!

    Really enjoyed reading about your happy home...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwww! It is good to be home! Thanks for the warm and fuzzy post! Makes me take a step back and appreciate it all too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Ann/Ca7:47 PM

    Awwww...thats the way I feel about home too, even today when pulling up the stained old carpeting didn't yield hardwood (as we thought!) to refinish but 40 yr old linoleum! So we'll buy a bit more flooring this week! And maybe have a little fire to roast marshmallows too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We took the train down to the city in Feb. and I loved it! I hope to go one more time before we leave here.

    I know what you mean about missing home when your away. I want them to invent those Star Trek Transporters, so that we can visit all day and then go right home again! (I miss my dogs and my books!)

    I've enjoyed visiting your blog!
    God bless.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Compliments for your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turq. backsplash is so heavely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your kitchen. I like the way you balanced the room with the white cabinets....lovely...smile...

    ReplyDelete