Monday, June 11, 2007

In the Mix



I think what I enjoy most about the flea market is the intentional and unintentional collections that happen within each booth. I love that bad art can look really provocative sitting on a dirt floor when placed next to equally bad art. Or is it the quilt that makes the paintings look good? Dunno. But I like the way it looks.



Do you love this? I love this. So many of the flea market "collections" I photographed included the truck that brought them there in the background. Telling, I think. Does that Miller Lite neon work? Did that gold chandelier hanging from the mirror-less chest also once hang in a Catholic church? Sure looks like it could have.



I have to believe that there is an order that is happening in the mind of the booth owners as they arrange their goods. Are they displaying it the way I'm see it? Because a lot of it is really so randomly gorgeous that I feel like they have to be doing it on purpose. Did that tired old woman see how the flowered trim on that doll's dress looks kinda like a repeat of the blossom etched in that tin. And in that grey/green ceramic behind? With some of these flea marketers, its painfully clear that how well they sell today determines how well they eat tonight. Honestly. It feels guilty and tragic that I browse through on a whim for fun, by contrast.



There are others who know which type of buyers come through Nashville and what they should have on hand for their perusal. Some of these guys really know how to comb through estate sales to find the best deals. Others, sadly look like they've been carrying around the same odds and ends for decades. I've had some really interesting conversations with the button lady. The painted furniture girl likes hearing my ideas for color palettes, though she totally knows what she's doing. The guy I once bought an antique silver shaving cup from for 20$ was shocked when I told him later after some investigation that its worth about 200$. We then discussed whether or not he should raise his prices. He told me most people would not believe him if he told them the value and they'd likely walk away. True.



Then there are those who arrange their goods by color and I go absolutely crazy. Crazy, I tell you! I want stuff that I wouldn't have the first idea how to use. I try to think of and empty wall in the house where I could hang, nail, frame or dangle every last little thinger-ma-bobbin who's purpose completely escapes me and my generation.



Then there are really crafty souls who know just what the retail world is doing, what trends are ebbing and flowing. So they know before I do that I would blow bucks on vintage patterns. There were plenty on hand that Juliana wanted.



I didn't spend more than I few dollars this go round. We just took our time looking at everything. Of course everything was completely desirable since I put a virtual zero budget on the day. Thats how it works, as you know of course.

Thanks for coming with. I guess I need to find that thing I actually bought and show you next time.

xo,AM

21 comments:

  1. Juliana4:09 PM

    Yay! i love the flea market. its too bad that type writer didnt work. you should just buy me a new one now.
    much love
    your not-so-daughterly daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, looks like fun.......i went antiquing this weekend......it's so much fun......esp. when hubby looks at ya like: "what, more knick-knacks?" yup, we love 'em! :)) I love your new header by the way.....ohhhh, and i am handling a huge pile of one of each of your fabrics (just came in the mail)........i totally blew the wad, but yours are sooo worth it! I have been working on a fun quilt with your pretties (in my mind so far) and I think some hand applique is calling to me! I'll keep ya posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally amazing what true treasures you find at your flea markets. Here flea markets include truely kitschy new items from China, Taiwan and the likes :( The really old stuff you just won't every find in that abundance. I would have bought a ton of those thread spindles :-D and you are right I love those old paintings but that is the mytique of them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE our flea market! Judging from your photos I can see you stay away from the junk in the buildings. Don't you just love the outdoor section way in the back? I've bought great old linens there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. robyn5:11 PM

    I love your blospot. Your posts are beautiful. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying seeing flea market finds through your eyes. Totally digging those vintage patterns -- did Juliana buy any?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Digging through patterns and buttons and ribbons gives me a head ache. Thank god my best friend loves to do it and is happy to use my lack of enthusiasm as an excuse to look for the both of us.

    Lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh I would have purchased all of those wood spools budget or not. I think they are lovely can't seem to find them around here.

    Hope you had fun take care
    sunshine
    now back to packing up my home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, where do you live?! I want that orange table...badly! Perhaps I can talk the folks that run that lovely place into shipping it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hardly stand it! What great piles of loot!!

    It's hard for my system not to overload at flea markets. Just. So. Much. Great. Junk.

    Glad you were able to find the hidden loveliness, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. all lovely photos and really really cool visit. i'm not really sure, however, how on earth you have that kind of restraint in you!
    teach us, wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds entirely fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh! Those spindles make the BEST turning and stuffing tools! When I make small stuffed animals and need to stuff them with polyfil, I grab my old spindle. (I previously cut off all the wool thread on mine and made a little pom-pom out of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I often wonder about the people behind the wares....how they came across their items, what made them decide to feature what they have in such a way, their prices....some definitley know more about what they are doing then others, either way--junqueing is a fun hobby!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmnnn...such lovely eye candy. As for the bad paintings -- it's the quilt. It has to be. It's interesting too, many of the dealers I've seen in our area have a very overinflated idea of what things are worth. It's interesting to see what crops up in different areas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, too, would have had a hard time passing up those thread spools! I simply cannot pass up any vintage sewing patterns. I have a ton of them now!
    missy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Anna! Reminds me how much a miss the hunt and peck of the flea market! Also, the photographs remind me of how different the "finds" appear to each of us. "What is GOLD to one, is silver to another!"

    Vicki Bodwell
    www.kidsbeddingblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite post of yours ever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree about the grouping by color vendors. It is so tempting to buy it all when it looks like a family together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is this the flea market at the TN Fairgrounds? OMG I need to go!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to go forever - I need to make some time to do that!!

    ReplyDelete