Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Prints & plants & patios



Eeked out one more quilt top recently in preparation to show at Quilt Market. I dashed into the patio yesterday to photograph it as the light was so beautiful after a wacky raining while it's still sunny stint. Maybe you've noticed a sliver of it up in that new banner? I thought I would only do the Chocolate Lollipop quilt that I designed for the collection. I received a copy of Quilter's Companion Australia and saw this gorgeous octagonal quilt, and HAD to try. It was great fun. Those sweet folks are actually doing a feature on lil' ole me for the summer issue. Hi Aussie lovies!



Our brick patio comes right off the back of the kitchen, and it is slowly coming to life this spring. I usually try to put as many flowers out there as I can hide in the grocery bills all through the spring and summer. But I wanted to do something a little different this year. Appreciate green. And variations on green. Even I, who must wear blossom blinders while driving by the nursery or picking up lightbulbs at Home Depot, just may pass up putting petals on the patio. I'm going plant-y. It's a great way to play with textures, shapes, scales, and different tones. I also found some loverly inspiration, that kinda looks like my patio minus the 400$ pots.



Green is good. Even though our lawn may boast twice as many patches of clover and dandelions as actual grass, it's green, wet, and new today, and all is right with the world.

I would say the most heavy duty piecing I've ever done is that orchard stone patio. The only word I can think of to describe what we did that summer is whew. It's a wavy form about 30 feet in length and about 13 feet at it's widest point. Underneath we had to dig down a foot and fill will gravel, then with sand, then lay the stones (in perfect Anna order which required lots of pulled neck and shoulder muscles), then (no!) level the stones. It was worth it.



We enjoy chilly spring breakfasts with blankets on the picnic table in here. Before long we'll be waiting till after dark for a cool breezy dinner after long days in the sun. Jeff and I have a favorite coffee couch in the morning too. I'll try to share more of our teeny greeny oasis soon. I've got 4 dozen eggs boiling!

xo,AM

32 comments:

  1. Love the quilt, love the green, love the patio - we're thinking of pulling up our concrete one and replacing it with stone this summer. It sounds like great exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that beautiful quilt. I read this blog because I love how colorful and bright and happy things always are. I love your stone walk, it's perfect for a quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up here in Goodlettsville, we had that raining while the sun is shining thing too. Really quite pretty. It brought to mind the phrase 'Summer Rain'. Then came the storms, and at the end of the storms at about 10:30 a huge bolt of lightening about 3-4 miles away. The thunder literally shook the house right to the floor boards. Did you feel it where you are?
    I like collecting wild flowers or rescued plants when I can. I just dug up and replanted about 4 feet worth of those beautiful, cheerful grape hybiscus that grow wild around here (don't worry, I was careful to take only a few, but that lot is for sale and they will all be destroyed during construction). Ive done this before with the grape hybiscus and the little bulblets do quite well and will come up next year. I also saved a flower I can't identify but is also bulbed, with a white flower that hangs down. They have done quite well, but it is not time for them to bloom. Two years ago, I dug up a few white violets with purple centers. Now if I can stop the golden lab, Rocky--our sheltie Duncan's best friend--from digging them up over and over again.... Are your violets in your yard blooming? They are so pretty. Here in the Nashville area we have so many wild flowers, many blooming right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely pictures of you green Anna. :o)
    the quilt is very creative with the hexagons.
    It looks difficult to make and lay flat with all those curves in there.

    I woke up with a little girls dress design in my mind this morning and forgot about it until I saw your quilt...this dress will be a challenge but very unique.

    Glad you are enjoying green....we are starting to get out of the rain here a bit in Washington to enjoy it too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt. I love your patio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your backyard is so green and pretty! It is still too cold in Boston for anything green...so it's very nice to see somewhere spring-y and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stone patio is beautiful. I can imagine the hard work that went into it. Your new quilt top is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I scrolled down and saw the picture that included your lawn I immediatly wanted to take my socks off and go running in it. I can't wait til the weather stays warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized from looking at the sidebar that I have a piece of your fabric hanging in my studio in a frame. I plan to decorate the whole room around that piece.
    http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1033-001467-443&Category_Code=1034&Product_Count=18
    This piece here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you dye your eggs while boiling them? My Nouna gave me the job of dying the eggs and told me to dye them while cooking them. I'm wrapping my mind around this one, I had always dyed them after cooking. Well your 4 doz to my 4 doz...

    Can't wait for Pascha!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt, love the hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice place to relax AM! I love the quilt..very very stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt Anna-Maria!! Have a wonderful Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephanie12:54 AM

    oh, that quilt is adorable and i love your patio and all things in your house. can you adopt me? haha. Do you know when the issue of Quilter's Companion australia will be out? please post it on your blog when it does so I can go to the newsagent and get it. (I live in Australia, so very easy for me to get a piece of you).
    Happy Easter,
    Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Aussie Steph-the issue should be the July/Aug issue....thanks for your kind words,and have a lovely weekend! xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holly the greek! Kali Anastasi my friend!
    I've done the red eggs both with boiling and dying at the same time, and also boiling first then dying. I think the key-no matter what is making sure the eggs are clean to accept the dye, before you even boil. Let them sit on the counter to room temp for a bit, then wash them in soapy water, then let them sit in the water as it heats to a boil. I also, once they're dry polish them with a bit of vegetable oil and the color is more intense.
    Have a beautiful weekend!
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Anna Maria!
    You've done it again! Another gorgeous jewel of a quilt! It looks so lovely on your patio with the plants! Can we come over for tea! The girls can play together and we can talk shop! :) Ha!!!! I would loveeee that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That must be the most perfect patio I'v ever seen! And the garden with the big trees is beautiful. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. May you have a blessed and happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey AM.....beautiful quilts...and I love the patio. Wow....what a wonderful place for a cup of coffee. Have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. shula8:44 AM

    Honey,

    That is Some Lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Anna, your quilt is beautiful like your patio.Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a lovely garden, no wounder your work is always so happy looking, with a view like this fist thing in the morning your heart must sing.
    Loving the colors in the quilt.
    Suzie Sews (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thatś a very nice quilt!
    Of course all your fabrics are godd in anything :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ritacor/428193750/in/set-72157600009415797/

    ReplyDelete
  25. the quilt is lovely and so is your garden. Good luck:)

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. turkiye de en buyuk sohbet sunucus olanMynet Sohbet | sunucuyu bu adrese kurarak Sohbet Siteleri kelimesinde de siteyi yukseltmeye calışmak için| Sohbet odaları bir çok siteyi bir arada tutup kullanıcı sayısını yukseltmektedir.| Mynet Sohbet | başlangıcta iyi bir yerde olmasın aragemn toparlayamadık :)Mynet Sohbet bizde yeni adreslerle destek cıkmak çin bu yola baş koydukçetbide sey var mynet sohbet istanbul chat Sohbet Odaları Chat Siteleri

    ReplyDelete