Monday, March 26, 2007

Refreshed, inside and out



Good Morning! Have a homemade pumpkin cranberry almond muffin! My kids looked at me with amazement and shocked happiness when they got this 7am greeting from me Saturday morning. I think they wondered where their real mother was. After a week of taking it easy during their spring break, I took the last weekend of it by the horns, I tell you! I assumed having everyone home and me taking only a partial break from work would be really hectic.



But the first official day of it, I realized how nice it was not to pack lunches, do homework, shove some out to the bus, get the laundry dry in the nick of time before loading up the others to pre-school, pickup from track practice, and just generally keep a schedule. I almost missed my car, I was barley in it! JOY! I even rippled like I've been wanting to ever since I saw this and this (who wouldn't try it? Seriously?). I just wanted to see if I could do it, since my previous crochet skills included all of the single crochet stitch. . I need to get that book so I can learn all kinds of ripples. I just kinda figured this one out. Jeff and Juliana kept prying me off of it to make me watch some movies with them, or to send me back to the computer and the deadlines of which they've been hearing me whine about nonstop. How funny, I thought, that crochet became my rebellion. Hysterical, really. I'm a good girl I am. We watched that one too.



By 9am saturday morning I was in the garden chatting with the anemones, and making way for my lilies, hydrangeas, hostas, phloxes, pachysandra, and other expected guests by clearing the weeds out of their beds. I have these cute new gloves, another hand-me-down from Jeff's grandma. After a year of living on her own since Jeff's grandad passed away, she's finally decided to go into a retirement community. She's therefore unloading years and years of various posessions to us. A lifetime of useful tools, dishes, furniture and other odds and ends. It's overwhelming, really. I don't think she's aware of how much we love having it all, grand like the china cabinet, meaningful like the dozens of various creamers she collected, or just simple and useful like the garden gloves. So special.



So it was a colorful, fun, relaxing week, and actually quite productive. I sometimes think I get more done when I take a break. It was such a nice change to care for the children a little more consciously instead of at lightening speed in between other tasks. Lots of little things I've been meaning to do for a long while got some attention. Some exciting developments and tentative possibilities have also been stirring in the studio. So I'll be sharing more, of course.

21 comments:

  1. Anna Maria, I'm so excited that you are starting a ripple blanket too! I have about a billion projects in the works, but I couldn't resist buying more yarn to start this one. There is a ripple along and a flickr group too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHhhhh, i wanna start a ripple blankie, too! Lovely colors in your garden, Anna Maria! I did the same thing all weekend out in the yard and started the veggie garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful break! So glad to see you back today!

    Love the ripples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your expected guests are so lovely. Wonderful to have a treasure of Grandmas'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to go water my parsley; yours puts mine to shame--not to mention all your wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. crochet is totally a rebellion for me too! I don't know how much time I "wasted" the first week after my mom taught me how... in fact, you're making me want to go work on my huge-never-gonna-get-done afghan right now - but I just CAN'T! Get to work, Jane! (I want to ripple, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering how you made those great bar stools in your first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna Maria,
    We start first term holidays next week here in Melbourne. And I am really, really looking forward to it. Just that reprise in the constant schedule. Is there enough bread to make the school lunches? Is there any baking left for them to take? Do I have enough fruit? Where are the goggles for swimming? What time was that special assembly at school? Instead, we have two weeks of hopefully glorious Autumn sunshine and not a thing planned. Bliss! I marvel at how much you pack into your days, and I must say, having not crocheted since my grandmother taught me as a child, I am feeling the ripple too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're back - I've missed reading about your crafty endeavors!

    I also have a question - are those little slipcovers on your kitchen chairs? I'm going to make some and am wondering if you have any suggestions.... :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep - school holidays here in Brisbane next week and I can't wait. The lunch boxes is the thing that I happily wash and pack away for 2 weeks. Slow, non rushed peaceful mornings...mmmmm can't wait! The weather has all of a sudden cooled after a very long and hot summer...Autumn here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like something yummy and homemade, that says love. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderfully peaceful and relaxing week it sounds like you had -- when can I get one of those? Seriously though, your flowers are beautiful and while I can knit, quilt, and do counted cross stitch I for some reason cannot crochet -- but your ripple blanket makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like a wonderfully productive-family time week. I am having one very soon but instead of it being in my home we are all being flown to my dads for a week. yippeeee!!
    I LOVED to make ripple afghans when I was in my early 20's. Forgot how now. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had a wonderful week Anna, but I'm selfishly glad you are back as I missed you!!! Yum, those muffins look delish and I love those floral garden gloves! The afghan is wonderful too! Is there anything you CAN'T do??!!!
    ((hugs))
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Your photo of the anemones is beautiful. It's still cold and rainy out here and I can't wait to get into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stacie9:14 AM

    Yes, welcome back! So happy you had a good Spring Break! And can't wait for the exciting news coming out of your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A few of you have asked about the counterstools in my kitchen. Those stolls were a bargain at Pier One that I nabbed and made slipcovers out of from my Bohemian line. The chairs are very straight and blocky with no arms or curves, so the construction was very straightforward. Just be sure that if you have a chair where the back tapers in smaller than the top that you keep the slipcover the same width all the way down the back as it is at the top...or you won't be able to slide it on. You can see the chairs more here, just scroll down to the bottom of the page:
    http://www.annamariahorner.com/bohemian.htm

    ReplyDelete