Monday, February 19, 2007

Clean Monday



Okay so thats it. I'm a minimalist now.

Oh alright, you obviously know I'm lying. I couldn't be even if I wanted to. But I must say I do like the look of a simple, clean space now and then. Doesn't happen often around here of course. Friday night, what started as Jeff saying he needs a better spot to work in the studio turned into a weekend long renovation process that is still just in it's beginnings. He started by building a new sewing table for me so he could have the old one that he built that I stole from him (I know). Then the whole room needed reorganizing. Such a troublemaker. Then I was whining (again) about the horrible carpet which we've yet to think of the most sutiable replacement for. Jeff lifted up a corner and found vinyl tile! We had no idea.



I am of course aware that I might be the only person to dance with joy at finding dirty avacado green school floor tile under their carpet. But for a studio that sees it's share of stain and spill acrobatics, it couldn't be more perfect. Every surface in this used-to-be rec room whether it was trim, door, wall or rug was the shade of ecru dying. And I do like a good neutral really. I know its hard to believe me. But everything? Ish. I was so excited that someone put a color in here once, any color! I've held off on painting for the first 3 years of living here though, thinking that an almost canvas colored room was a perfect enviroment to create colorful things in. Nope, its not. Not for me. That beautiful ugly floor has given me lots of thoughts on the color of this space & it'll continue to tell me what to do. I am only painting one wall at a time, because each wall serves a different task in my work, therefore I think they should all be different.

So I will share over the coming weeks, how this place gets transformed. One wall, one color, one space at a time. For today though, the first day of Great Lent for us Orthodox known as Clean Monday, this glacial blue is perfect. I'll be cooking meatless dishes for 40 days and I am so thankful that the vegan diet started trending on several years ago. All those cookbooks are a dinner saver around here. Not to mention the ever growing vegetarian sections at the market.

Whew, all that indulgence last week happened just in the nick of time!
xoxo, AM

21 comments:

  1. I'm terribly excited to see how your space evolves! I am in the dreaming and wishing stage of my craft room right now. I have paint chips picked out and that's about it. Just waiting for spring to come so I can have loads of daylight in which to paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is on the way to getting her own space, has always lived with lots of colour AND has decided to try white with this new space (letting the projects and the like be the colour in the room), I will be curious to see your space evolving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, no more carpet! Have fun painting those walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,
    I've been enjoying your blog for a few days now! I look forward to seeing what you do with your room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not the only one--when I found 50's cream speckled linoleum under our dirty, brown, 80's carpet in the family room, I had that carpet up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FUN! Almost ANYTHING is better than carpet! Love the wall color. Fits the mood of both lines of fabric! :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that floor too! and, practical is always good... can't wait to see the finished product!

    if you are going meatless for the next month, you should check out www.101cookbooks.com and www.mightyfoods.com if you haven't already... Heidi Swanson is a vegetarian and she rules. I applaud your effort - I THINK I could go meatless, but my weekly menus probably prove otherwise... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Jane!

    Your menus make me really hungry! I think I'll be giving up your blog for 40 days as well :)
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! I'm being given up for Lent... that seems significant somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AM~

    Roman Catholic here ... in the old style. I'll be right there with you on the fasting and abstaining.

    I can't wait to see your new studio transformed!

    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will be fun to watch the room change. Couldn't agree with you more, that is a good floor to have found in a room where paint is used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful shades for a "clean" start! Love that light robin's egg blue. I'd love to be a minimalist also, but that's not likely to happen. How can a crafter be a minimalist???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aja Abney12:47 PM

    Love that blue! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors too!!! I think the Spring Cleaning bug is heading my way as well! ;)

    Can't wait to see more of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My second Great Lent as an Orthodox Christian, any recipes would be appreciated.

    Have a Blessed Great Lent!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that blue - and NO, please never become a minimalist - whatever would we DO without your incredible gift of creating and mixing the MOST awesome colors and patterns EVER???? ;-)
    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your studio, I just painted my new laundry room a tester color to see if i like it enough to use in the new sewing room/stuido. It's very close to the color you show here, just a little more turquouse-green than blue. I LOVE IT! Also, love your blog and you're the first "surfbreak" I take everyday at work. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had never see a blog batter than this blog, I like this blog very very much.By the way, do you like my products: street lights, street lighting, street lamps, ball valves, butterfly valves, butterfly valve handles, check valves, sanitary fittings, butterfly valve handles, butterfly valve handles, solar street lights, street light, valve manufacturer, butterfly valve handles, valve manufacturers, butterfly valve handles, street lamp, solar street light, ball valve, butterfly valve handles, butterfly valve, check valve,valves manufacturers, butterfly valve handles

    ReplyDelete