Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Play Forward



As promised I'm sharing the revealed Christmas secret of the kids' new game room. We have had this empty room off the garage packed from wall to wall and ceiling to floor with storage stuff. When clearing some things out last month, I had the thought to make a new space for the kids to have some old-fashioned fun. You remember ceratinly. Nothing electric except a lightbulb ? Remember what that was like?? So the first step was to put a new doorknob and lock on and get to work either while they were at school or asleep. I enlisted Juliana because, well, it would have been impossible without her. And this is mostly a younger kid space, and she took as much excitement in planning all the activities as I did.

So after painting a playful color and throwing down a few cheap industrial rugs from Home Depot, the real fun started. We bought a junior size ping pong table, a safety dartboard, a rocking horse (that winnies and gallops when you press his ears....so okay there is more than just the lightbulb, but totally acceptable, Eleni glows when she hears it, anyway), a pair of bent plywood stools a tub for dressup clothes, a mirror and a mini basket ball goal.

We made lots of stuff....a 4'x4' sheet metal magnet wall with homemade magnetic words to inspire some major silliness and composition... a 4'x4' framed dry-erase board to inspire even more silliness, some score keeping and some artistry....a checkerboard table was fashioned from an unused old playroom table, and squares of decoupaged fabric to form the checker, and some painted wooden discs for the playing pieces. We also fashioned a semi-circlar dressing room that hangs from the ceiling to inspire...uhh...modesty. Then there's the feltboard I made that features Eleni and Isabela. Currently the felt attachables have them visiting the museum with printouts of famous paintings stitched to felt , and I'm sure these felt girls will go lots of other places in the future.



So while they play away downstairs this morning, I am working away up here in the studio. It is my own form of grown up playing though, admittedly. I've been updating my website some. I will be meeting with a lot of clients in a fews weeks so I have lots of product concept presentations to make. That just means I get to cut up all my art on the computer and put it into to pretend images of lovely things. I really am in my playroom.



My new year is also filled with some very useful amusements. My brother-in-law Jason gave me this fabulous little coffee cup. What's better than a cool cup that will become your daily standard? Nothin' is what. And at the same time I can exhibit a little local pride for my favorite coffee house.

Back to work, for lack of a better word for what I get to do....most of the time.

xoxo,AM

25 comments:

  1. What a stellar room! Makes me wish I were a kid again! Who wouldn't have fun in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wallpaper on your computer is gorgeous. Is that one of your designs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tashina, Happy New Year!
    Yes that is one of my patterns and it will be available on melamine dishware and giftwrap this spring...and maybe something else but I can't remember! Thanks!
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is quite the project! How are you not passed out from exhaustion after all that? It looks great, and I'm sure your kiddies will love it! We had a "playroom" growing up, and I still remember all the good times we had in there while mom was crafting. I'd love to do something like that for Matthew someday when we're settled in a real house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great space! i am sure the kids are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVE it! Perfect color! I can not WAIT to see your new line of fabric..my fingers are itching..

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so fabulous! Those are some lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic playroom Anna Maria. The photos got lots of oohs and ahs from my two daughters. I'm sure lots of fun will be had in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a mother of five, of course you know that kids really require very few items but lots of space and their imaginations! This special place you've created sounds wonderful and will be talked about in memorable stories for years and years to come.
    Glad that their new play space helps you out in yours too!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh! I don't know which looks more fun... your kids' schnazzy new play space or your double monitor computer setup! Can I come over and play????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny-the studio door is wide open, just ask my rowdy kids!
    xo,AM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, love the new playspace. At the risk of sounding like a "fogey" (which I am) kids need MORE of this kind of opportunity. Imagination is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the playroom - too much fun. ANd looks like I would love you office/studio too.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MaggieGrace- You have a wonderful day too! Sorry I don't get a chance to say something to each of you, but I always smile at the niceness of each of you lovely people. Blogger won't give me an email to respond to as most of you know, so its several clicks away to respond, by going to each of your sites(which I try to if you have them). I do always respond to my emails, and just usually say a silent...awwe thanks when you send a comment to the blog. Unless you have a specific question.
    But you didn't ask did you?!
    Back to the circus, xoxoxox. AM

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, your kids are so lucky to have a great playroom and a hard working mommy to put this all together for them!
    Now I'm thinking of making a 4'X4' dry erase board....what fun that would be! But where could I put it...hmmm. Thanks for your lovely inspiration, again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi AM and happy new year! Great play room y'all whipped up there. I'm sure it was much appreciated by the little ones.
    Looking forward to the new AM goodies that we'll see in 2007. Best, jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh, what a lovely playroom you made. Love the turquoise wall color. I want to paint our new baby room red/turq. She will be our 5th. If our referral ever gets here. Maybe in 2 years. But I can plan? That is half the fun. I love the red coffee mug too. So cute. Love your blog. You are Soooo very talented.
    Lisa @ zizooyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa- You can plan by all means-I hope everything works out and congrats! 5 is a good, good number :) Thanks for your nice words!
    with love, AM

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your gameroom is a magnificient idea, and it looks so bright and cheery! I am sure the kiddies will enjoy it for years to come and always remember the Gameroom every Christmas to come.

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  20. AM i love your blog and this post is just a great example of why! You are on my list of favorite blogs of the year. Love the play room and the list of rules super fun. Love reading you. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete