Sunday, October 22, 2006

New Baby on the Block

Another Sunday, another Baptism.

When you are
Greek Orthodox, there is no shortage of meaningful milestones and spectacular celebrations to take part in. A new little life in our commuity was baptized today followed by a humdinger of a reception, complete with dinner and dancing. Little Dimitri Joseph cried through the whole thing, just like a baby, but was wide-eyed for all his guests at the party.

People have come to expect
something handmade from me, and I aim to please. As a gift, I thought it would be fun for him to learn his D-I-M's instead of his A-B-C's. Growing up greek makes you a superhuman speller, even if all you know is your own name.

I used some of
this fabric and some of that fabric and made him a way oversized stuffed block that he can tumble around with on the floor. Each side has a different letter of his name, and luckily there are only 5 different letters in his 7 letter name and since there are only 6 sides to the cube he will have to re-use 1 of the 2 I's when spelling DIMITRI.

Oh well, this is starting to feel like math and I know thats not what you're here for.

This weekend I also got to squeeze in some time for my new goal of becoming a knitter. I'm also digging deeper through the mothy bally smelly drawers of the old hutch and spending some time with the beautiful handmade items of my grandmothers. I'll share more of those cherishables in the coming days as well as a glimpse of my own progress (a word I'm using very loosely here).

Here's today's spelling practice, don't tell me you never learned anything from me!



  1. Tres cute AND clever!

  2. I am just about to become Greek Orthodox when I get married to a Greek. It is so exciting for me but all brand new. I went to my first wedding in a Greek church last week. And we are going to get my daughter baptised.

  3. Wow, Mia, Congratualtions two-fold!


  4. What a great idea! I might consider making one for my grandson Ryan - four letters will be just perfect!

  5. Oh My Gosh!! I just saw where I typed GEEK grandmother!! hehe

  6. i love the idea! it is super cute. I love giving hand made things too. I just discovered your blog from Heather Bailey's and i love it! great posts.

  7. thank you very much..

  8. you told me about the issue very beautiful. Thank you for your efforts

    Alaçatı konaklama
    Alaçatı butik otelleri