Thursday, October 19, 2006


Does anyone else have a stack like this in your home??

If I put all our crocheted and knit blankets and sweaters into one room from the grandmothers, great grandmothers, mothers and great aunts, I wouldn't fit in the room to take a photograph.

I really really love having them. Every one of them. They've become a kaleidoscope of love in this house, and they are dragged here, there and everywhere by the kids.

And with the recent passing of my husband's grandfather, his grandmother found that she wanted to clear some things out of the house. So the stack is getting higher.

I've never been much for knitting or crochet. My mom and every mom before her did it. My greek grandmother crocheted without a hook! Just used her finger, and you would not believe the intricate results. I'll share soon.

I always watched, but sort of resisted the structure of it, as described in the story of the needlework. For some reason though, recently I've been inspired to try more.

Having lost both my grandmothers in the past few years I won't be learning from them. So is my mom teaching me? Nope. Who? My daughter! How cute is that? Even watching her smart little hands whip through the basics, I picture the first women I watched do it, the women that Juliana barely had the chance to know.

It was actually Juliana who taught me to crochet when she was 11 years old. And now at 14 she has executed quite the thorough knitting tutorial, so that I am casting on, knitting and purling. She is just the most inventive little creature.

I'll be sharing some of my VERY basic progress here. And maybe the cooler weather will inspire you like it has me. If the weather isn't enough visit and their darling blog. So beautiful.

xoxox, AnnaMaria


  1. What a thrill it was to find your blog! I fell in love with your Bohemian line this summer when I was in my favorite quilt shop. I wish I could tell you my favorite, but I can't because I could not decide. I do know I LOVE your color combinations.

    Look forward to seeing more in your blog!

  2. Wowee! Thanks Robin! xo,AM

  3. Beautiful blog! I relate to this post completely. My father is from Greece and my Greek grandmother has made so many knitted and crocheted tablecloths, bedspreads, sweaters, curtains and needlework art for me that I have them all folded neatly in a huge closet. I have so much love for each handmade item she has sent me and I sometimes wish I could be closer to her to learn the craft. :)

  4. I found you through Heather's blog. Wow. And we have a stack almost exactly like that. My grandmother crocheted, so we all have afghans. I learned to crochet myself from watching over her shoulder. I am a lefty and she was right handed so I crochet right handed. Cannot knit - but I was things with friend who can.

    Your blog is beautiful, funny, inspiring, amazing. I have added it to my daily run through.

    Have a beautiful day.

  5. Missy9:03 AM

    What a great tease! I can't wait to see the creations of your Geek grandmother!!

  6. Hi Missy-I'm sure you meant Greek :)
    I love a good typo, xo,AM

  7. Ya'Sou Nina, Ti kanis? Kai evharisto!

    Even if you are not fluent, you must know that much greek. I'm not quite fluent at all!

    Thanks for your words,and so nice to hear from another first generation girl. My greek comes from my Papa as well!

    xo, AM

  8. Great blog, with a lovely mix of beautiful artwork and memories.
    Now you are among my favourites.

  9. Ooh--you should post some of your daughters knitting and crocheting! What a powerful feminine chain you have going. I have a stack of emboidered pillow cases from my grandmother and get a new one almost every Christmas. As I get older I appreciate them even more and want to add to the legacy of making beautiful things ;)

  10. Yasou Anna Maria! Ti kanis? Kala imeh! :) Oreo blog ehis! Xero ligo Ellinika :). I went to Greek school for six years as a kid in NY but I am in need of lots of practice now. LOL I went to Greece a couple of years ago and although I could understand it and read/write it, it was soooo hard to speak it!

    It's great hearing from another Greek girl and I can't wait to see your new posts and pics. Your family must be so proud!

  11. Bravo Nina Mou, Ellinika sou ineh Oreao!!

    I can read greek fluently because of Greek School, but because of not using it, I have no idea what I'm reading.

    Here's to never giving up the bi-lingual dream!

    apo agape, Anna Maria