Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Farewell to a frock


I don't want to say goodbye.

In comes fall and I'm digging deeper than normal into the girls' closet (Isabela and Eleni share) to get them dressed. We are going farther back on the garment pole, beyond the center-positioned summer clothing that has carried them through the cookouts, the ice cream, and the laziness of summer. There was one little number I was hoping would still add up around the ever-growing Eleni again this fall......and thats this cutie that I had made for Isabela 4 or 5 years ago. I knew when I put it in the back of the closet that we would have a small (and I mean tiny) chance that she could wear it one last season.

But alas, it really is a baby dress and a baby, Eleni is not.

So in typical Anna fashion, I immediately thought to add panels, and remake it into something that would fit. Then I realized that the whole reason we create is because the need arises. So I will honor the creative call and make make make.

This dress (I feel like it needs a name) was born out of a decorator swatch sale that I happened upon. A store was selling all their discontinued oversized decorator swatches, those that hang on the hangers you know, for 50 cents each. So I ofcourse loaded up and lets see........it took 1, 2, 3, 4.....5 samples plus some trim to fashion this little frock. Thats a 2.50 plus trim dress, the trim probably costing 5 times that!

Be on the lookout for its replacement. Some days I wonder if its easier to make a new dress or make a new baby to fit into the dress. Honestly.


I think dress. I'll keep ya posted.