Monday, October 09, 2006

Christmas in October

One of my biggest challenges as a surface/textile designer is inspiring myself to create art for a season that we aren't currently in the middle of. I am usually working on product design about 18 months ahead of when it will actually hit store shelves. So I am currently wrapping up my designwork for Holiday 2007 and now focusing on Spring 2008. It gets so confusing sometimes, that when I'm writing a check I have to think soooo hard about what today's date is, due to constantly living in the future!

I thought it would be fun to share a new holiday design collection I've worked on called Holiday Hoopla. Below is the original painting where I've definitely taken a less traditional approach to holiday and concentrated on the visual hoopla of it all.

I designed the painting so that it could easily be repeated for items such as giftwrap, or table textiles, etc. Below its shown in repeat pattern & you can see where the different elements pop up and repeat themselves.

Some types of products may have different coordinating pieces, such as paper tableware, that has 2 sizes of plates and napkins. For that situation I will usually pull out just a few elements of the main design and create a seperate design, to break up the monotony. I think of this process as how I would layer pillows together and how I would want to mix size, color and detail. Here's a few examples:

So there's a festive glimpse of another day in the life of this studio! If you have a hard time enjoying these holiday images during the beginning of fall, do what I do and just flip on Johnny Mathis Christmas and jingle all the way. This technique of mine has also proven to completely confuse my sweet children.

Happy Holidays!!


  1. I have a peppermint garland for my tree that looks a lot like your fabulous bottom photo. What program do you use to cut out and reassemble your images? They're wonderful.

    Merry Christmas!

  2. Those are great!! I would love to get some fabric like that painting.....hint...hint... Wouldn't that have great, nearly endless possibilities:) I will buy some of whatever it ends up as when it comes out! The painting seems almost magical - I think it is the sparkling snowflakes maybe:) can't

  3. Thanks Heather!!

    I use a program called GIMP, I know thats a weird name. My husband being a programmer, he's a fan of Linux, so all our software is Linux based. I'm guessing it would be the equivalent o something like photoshop.
    Your tree sounds yummy!!

  4. Anonymous8:11 AM

    hey koumbara-
    love the peppermint idea...absolutely adorable. Nice blog you've created here! How's everything going??

    koumbara jj

  5. Very "charlie and the chocolate factory" (new and/or remake, take your pick). Reminds me of the scene in the book where the children discover the lickable wallpaper. Love these designs!

  6. Anonymous1:07 PM

    so very yummy.;0)
    ~danni p

  7. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Love the peppermint garland, it really makes you almost "taste" the fun of the holidays. What type of paint do you use for your art? Curious minds wanna know :)


  8. Hi Lucy-thanks for your kind words! I use good ole Liquitex acrylics, most of the time!!

    And from what I can tell they have no harmful side effects, like overnight stays in the hospital for surgery :)


  9. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Johnny Mathis. Oh Lord. Reminds me of a time "way back" when my brother and sister and I would roller skate in our basement while his Christmas album (33-1/3 rpm) was blaring from our portable record player. Spring, summer, fall or winter, we'd play the record and zoom around. Life was simpler then.

    Thanks for the memories. ;-)

  10. WOW! Be it paper or fabric, I'll definitely buy some. Can't help but feel happy just lookin at it!

  11. turkiye de en buyuk sohbet sunucus olanMynet Sohbet | sunucuyu bu adrese kurarak Sohbet Siteleri kelimesinde de siteyi yukseltmeye calışmak için| Sohbet odaları bir çok siteyi bir arada tutup kullanıcı sayısını yukseltmektedir.| Mynet Sohbet | başlangıcta iyi bir yerde olmasın aragemn toparlayamadık :)Mynet Sohbet bizde yeni adreslerle destek cıkmak çin bu yola baş koydukçetbide sey var mynet sohbet istanbul chat Sohbet Odaları Chat Siteleri

  12. The reason mnbgqhj why the Oakley Frogskins can block the UV ray is that the lenses are coated with a layer of special film. Such Oakley Frogskin can block and absorb the UV ray as well as some visible light Cheap Oakley Sunglasses at the same time, which will reduce the transmittance of the lens. Therefore, the superior-quality Oakley Jawbone have strong resistance to the UV ray. Moreover, the coating on the lens is relatively hard and not easy to be abraded. As for how to determine whether a pair of cheap wholesale Oakley Jawbones is with UV protection function.